the "big challenge"

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by nunzioluka, Oct 23, 2008.

1. nunzioluka

nunzioluka Junior Member

Hi everybody!

here i present you my challenge:

can you find a boat with the 3 following characteristics:

1) sa/d of 17 or more
    2) avs/ lps of 135 or more
    3) sail area of less than 1000sqft

...i mean, a boat able to sail in light condition, with a maneageble sailing area and a good stability?!
    I have the impression these numbers are just at the border between realistic an irrealistic equilibrium, maybe the only solution i see could be a plywood/epoxy boat, something like the Dix 43PIlot built in sout africa by Roy McBride...

the challenge start! the winner will get a bunh of cold cervezas here in MAdrid...:p :D

Cheers!
    Luca

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

I have two new designs that meet these criteria:

SAINT BARBARA
    http://www.sponbergyachtdesign.com/SaintBarbara.htm
    Characteristics:
    Displacement: 13,200 lbs. (5.99 MT)
    Sail Area: 720.0 sq.ft. (66.88 sq.M.)
    SA/D: 20.62
    AVS: 180 deg (see RA curve attached)

SCANDINAVIAN CRUISER 40
    http://www.sponbergyachtdesign.com/SC40News.htm
    Characteristics:
    Displacement: 4,663 lbs (2.115 MT)
    Sail Area: 466.2 sq.ft. (43.31 sq.M.)
    SA/DL: 26.72
    AVS: 180 deg (see RA curve attached)

Both designs are free-standing wingmast sloops with lifting keels. Saint Barbara draws 10' (3.05 M), and the SC 40 draws 5.74' (1.75 M). Saint Barbara is a cruiser/racer of moderate beam and weight, whereas the SC 40 is a narrow lightweight day boat. The stability is rather amazing, but that is because of the deep-draft keels and narrow beam.

Saint Barbara is a one-off built by Van Dam Woodcraft in Boyne City, MI, with strip plank Western Red Cedar and carbon fiber skins inside and out.

The SC 40 will be production-built in fiberglass and epoxy in China (builder to be announced in due course). The SC 40 will ship direct on its own trailer and in a standard shipping container.

Eric

Attached Files:

3. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Both lovely boats in their own interesting way, Eric. Very nice work.

So where else can you go to work in a t-shirt, shorts and sandals and still be a big shot? ;-)

Gotta love it.

Attached Files:

4. nunzioluka

nunzioluka Junior Member

Thank you Eric!
    very interesting boats, descovering a new nice boat makes me as happy as an adolescent with a new penthouse issue...
    so, at the moment you are the only winner of the fantastic spanish beer!

thank you again,

Luca

5. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Just to prove that I can do it, I do know how to wear long pants, a decent shirt, and proper shoes. And don't let it ever be said that I don't know how to get down and dirty.

The real big shots here are the owners who pay for these designs. In the Saint Barbara photo, that's Steve Van Dam, Saint Barbara's builder, in the gray shirt, and the owner, Sam Kovalak in the red shirt. In the Chris Craft Cobra photo, that's owner Jack Rouse in the yellow shirt. Notice that he is wearing University of Michigan colors, even though he is a Michigan State grad.

Luca, we'll see how long I hold first place since I am the only one that has posted anything here. Thanks, I look forward to it if I prevail.

Eric

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.