Integrated gasoline tank

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by GoSlow, Apr 29, 2007.

1. GoSlow

GoSlow Junior Member

Can anyone share any knowledge/experience in locating a gasoline tank inside a swim platform that is an integrated part of the hull on yacht? The tank would provide gasoline for a tender. One thought was to put an aviation style fuel bladder inside an appropriately sized cavity. It would seem there would need to be a properly placed remote vent.

George

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

First, just a reminder, Federal Regulations prohibit integral gasoline fuel tanks on recreational boats. That said, the law applies to boat manufacturers, not boat owners, but your insurance company sure won't like it and you will never pass a survey. ABYC standards also don't allow integral gasoline tanks. Now, if that platform is hollow inside you could put a plastic fuel tank in there with a fill and a vent and a means to pump it out. However, the problem is the pump. If it is a mechanical hand pump you are ok. If it is an electric pump it needs to be ignition protected and those are hard to find. On houseboats that have auxiliary fuel tanks like this they use exactly the same pumps used in gas stations, because they are explosion proof. But they ain't cheap!

Frankly what I would do is carry a couple of portable gasoline fuel tanks and mount them outside somewhere, where if they leak the gas goes over the side. On various ships I have been on we mounted the gas tanks out on the end of a catwalk that extended out over the side of the ship. Most of these portable tanks today are plastic so they won't corrode. On many large yachts that have various boats as tenders they put the auxiliary gas tank on the uppermost deck, outside.

The other question is, does you state allow you to pump gas? This is not a joke question. Some states do not allow it. You actually have to be state certified to pump gas. New Jersey is a good example.

3. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Peter,

New Jersey and Oregon are the only 2 out of 50 states that prohibit self pumping of gasoline. Apart from that, I agree with your comments. Strapping a portable fuel tank onto the swim platform, or placing it in a cavity that has a gravity drain is a good solution that does not run afoul of fire and safety regulations. The pump would have to be manual; anything elese would be too expensive to do properly. It is not legal for anyone but a specially licensed technician or electrician to do Class 1, Group D (NEMA "explosion proof" designation) electrical work.

4. GoSlow

GoSlow Junior Member

Thanks guys,

I assumed there would be some hair on the dog. Just wan't sure what it would be. I assumed an upper deck mounted tank would be preferable but wasn't thrilled with the appearance.

George

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.