Capacity of Wards 12' aluminum boat?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by tex_n_cal, Jun 14, 2007.

1. tex_n_cal

tex_n_cal New Member

I am think of buying a 12 foot Sea King, circa 1967. The manufacturer's ID plate is present, but not legible. An old Johnson 9.9 hp is with it. The transom is braced, and there are two flotation blocks under the rear two seats. The hull seems very sound.

How much horsepower could it take, and what practical load limit should I use? I am going to add some extra flotation, but this of course is just safety if it swamps, it won't actually increase the load carrying capability.

Thanks!

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Is it a v-hull or jon boat type hull? Either way, your not going to want to much power. My 14' v-hull aluminum skiff did 17mph with a 9.8 outboard.

Check the integrity of the transom. They are many times plywood stiffened. Notoriuos area for trouble.

Not sure about the "official" capacity. Apply common sense & then err more on the side of safety.

Welcome & good luck.

Tim

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

My guess- and this is only a guess, based on what boats of similar size and type are generally rated for- is that you should use no more than 10 hp and carry a maximum load of two people plus their gear, or perhaps three people without gear. Over-powering on a boat that small would make it difficult to control and unsafe, without any real benefit. Some photos of the boat would help evaluate it....

4. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

My friend Larry & I would fish calm lakes in his 12' aluminum v-hull. No outboard, just a small electric. He is approx. 280lbs. & I am 220lbs. Even without the OB weight or much gear, we were pretty well loaded down.

Like Matt said, don't overdue it on the power (paraphrase). My 9.8 did fine on a 14 footer. The 9.9 you have or a similar one, even a 6hp. would be fine if it is a typical aluminum skiff. They are great, fun, and functional little boats.

Tim

5. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I have a 12' Sea King with a 9.9 on it and it flies. I think it was 14Mph by the GPS.
    It will easily handle two big guys, a cooler, Battery, fuel tank and a lot of etc.

Its tippy though. You'll learn to respect that real quick. But it rows like a dream and is very quiet. Not the kind of thing that develops leaks like a Starcraft I had.

I'd sure be interested in a photo of the Hull ID plate. Mine is missing and I need it to get it licensed.
    Maybe somebody else could help with a photo.

6. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

We had a Johnson 15 hp on the back of a Sears 12' aluminum for years - I wouldn't say it was over-powered; but it had plenty of power and rarely saw wot.

7. uamauka

uamauka New Member

I have a v-hull 12' aluminum Montgomery Ward Sea King, though a later model--the capacity plate shows either 4 persons, upto 500 lbs or a total weight including motor, persons and gear upto estimated 777 lbs. Hp is 15.

The v-hull glides smoothly through the water and works best w/ two people. I switched from a trolling motor to a 4hp. Sufficient for two with gear. Just check the rivets to make sure there are no leaks. Other wise the Sea King is a great choice. Very seaworthy

8. some boater

some boater New Member

some boater

I just bought one it is a Sea King it shows 8Hp 3 people 450 Lb. it is a model 60 8923 any idia how old it is ??

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.