Aluminium racing Cats/Tris?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by MarkC, Jun 26, 2006.

1. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

2. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

3. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

Thankyou for your example:

4. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Palmer Johnson built some 12 Meter boats of glued aluminum. I am not sure of the details, but my understanding is that the plate was too thin for the welding techniques of the time. I wonder if with modern adhesives an aluminum hull would be competitive.

1 person likes this.
  6. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

One problem you have with aluminum is its poor fatigue strength. Especially where welded, because you compromise the heat treatment. The Searunner 31's with aluminum truss beams had problems with fatigue, as did Pen Duick IV, IIRC.

There are a lot of fluctuating loads in a multihull from wracking as the boat goes through the waves. When I'm riding on the weather ama of an F-boat, I can feel the whole boat vibrating from waves and gusts. That makes for a lot of cycles.

Carbon re-inforced composite construction is the ideal material today. Stiff and light, and highly fatigue-resistant. In a multihull, you can't afford the weight of adding enough aluminum to have anything like the same stiffness & strength after a large number of cycles.

7. yipster

yipster designer

can i have three guesses where epoxy glued alu is used ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.