bending sapele

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by tcoote@simons-r, Oct 2, 2007.

1. tcoote@simons-r

tcoote@simons-r New Member

Wondering if anyone has attempted to bend sapele, and what the results were. I have 12' sections of 3/4x3/4 inch corner molding that I am trying to bend around for a rub rail. Thanks for any input.

Tom

2. doingitmyway

doingitmyway Junior Member

I've bent teak, have some sapele, super hard wood, steam it but make sure you have a piece of strap steel to secure to each end w/ a block of wood to compress it's outside edge as you bend it. Otherwise it will surely tear itself apart. Check web for steam bending woods, lots of info out there. Good Luck.

3. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

I saw a fella bending it using a home made steamer. See pic attached. Sorry I don't know any of the details as to how long he had to keep it in the steamer. Looks like a pretty simple rig to put together, a length of PVC pipe with end caps and a few holes drilled in it. I especially like the Jerry Can kettle!

Attached Files:

4. doingitmyway

doingitmyway Junior Member

5. Man Overboard

Man Overboard Tom Fugate

Here is something that I had not realized. Good article!

6. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Rip it into strips and laminate the sapele on the boat with epoxy thickened with the sawdust.

Pericles

7. tcoote@simons-r

tcoote@simons-r New Member

good info.

Thanks for the tips and info. In the end I didn't try to steam it because too many folks said it would rip apart on me. I cut one edge of the corner mold, with a very fine blade, every 8 inches. This prevented the corner mold from twisiting and it laid down nicely. I will fill the fine seams with dust and epoxy. Looks great by the way. Whens its all done I'll try to post some pics. Thanks again.

Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.