Take a look at this.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by brunobbm, Jan 24, 2005.

1. brunobbm

brunobbm New Member

Hi everybody,

I have designed a small boat, an IOM, inspired by the new VO Open 70. Course it´s not exactly the same. If you experts could have a look at it, and make any comments.. I am also having problem with the boats aft.. I think that the Open 70 is thiner, but if I add more markers I can´t get it right. I would love ANY help.

I am a advertising creative, so no boat design experince (besides books, lots of).

Bes Regards,
    Bruno B B Magalhães

Attached Files:

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

IOM /canting keel?

Your hull looks nice but as an IOM it will be restricted to a fairly high displacement for it's size compared to other models and it will be resticted to a fixed keel instead of the canting keel allowed under the VOR rules. There is only one monohull model class wanabe(very small numbers worldwide) that allows any form of movable ballast and that is the Formula 100 One Meter.
    For an IOM I would imagine that you would want to make sure that there is no pitch down as the boat heels. Your design looks like it's fairly wide aft but it's hard to tell what it's heeling characteristics are.
    The IOM class has a strict one design rig that bears NO resemblance to a modern fully roached or square top rig so given that, the restricted heavy displacement and the ban on movable ballast you might want to consider changing your emphasis to whats proving competitive in the International One Meter Class or to a set of parameters that will more closely mimic the characteristics of a Volvo 70.
    However you proceed good luck!
    -----------------
    Check Nicks IOM site:
    http://home.bytesite.com.au/~nick/oziomz/index
    Also look at Lester Gilberts IOM site; he has mre IOM info gathered in one place than anyone else in the world. http://www.onemetre.net

3. brunobbm

brunobbm New Member

Flotation

Thanks for the tips, Course IOM doesn´t allow canting kells, but it would like to try.. :)

How can I calculate the flotation, better, how can I know if it will float? Ia IOM weights 4Kgs. How do I do this?

Best Regards,
    Bruno B B Magalhães

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

flotation

Your question is too involved to answer here but you can find the answer with some design"freeware"; look under software on this forum. Or get a copy of the Princibles of Yacht Design by Eliasson and Larsson or Skene's Elements of Yacht Design.

5. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Flotation:
    It seem like you have some kind of CAD program?
    If you can section the hull in 5 or 10 places, find the area of each section (the part under your designed waterline), you can draw a "curve of areas". The volume is approx the area under this curve. One dm3 ~1kg.
    As Doug wrote, you should read a book on the subject :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.