Aluminium Bowsprit Design

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by anildas, Jan 8, 2011.

1. anildas

anildas New Member

Hi,
    I am currently engaged in the conversion of a Steel sailboat to aluminum. I would like to get some idea about the design of an aluminum bow sprit design. I feel Bowsprits should not consume deck area and therefore a side and stem supported design would be apt. Further, what should be the loading permitted on a bowsprit for a 15 m boat.

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...anildas, the tonnage and the sail area will determine that, we need more details to even make a guess...

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What do you mean by conversion, re-design on paper or re-plating?

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...hopefully on paper eh.....

5. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

AL boats I've seen often have a big bent tube in "U" or "V" shape welded to the sheer where bowsprit shrouds would go if there were a single pole or tube sprit. A bobstay and a light walking plank down the middle complete it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.