Aluminium Boat Interior Construction

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sequent, Jun 18, 2006.

1. sequent

sequent New Member

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm trying to find out how, for example, carpet or material and/or wood panelling and linings, as well as cabinets are fixed to the cabin sides, specifically in the case of aluminium boats? Are they glued-in, screwed-in, or is some other methodology used? I basically want to know the process to go from a bare alloy hull and cabin to the finished interior.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There can be a variety of methods. It depends on the materials you are using, if they are structural members, design characteristics, etc.

3. sequent

sequent New Member

Are there any good references (books, links etc) you could recommend where information about the various methods can be found?

4. SolomonGrundy

SolomonGrundy I'm not crazy...

There are a number of resources available such as: Boatbuilding with Aluminum by S. Pollard, Colvin's book Steel Boatbuilding is worth looking at too, even if your boat won't be steel.
    A common method of installing interior joinery is to weld "tabs" of either bar stock or an extrusion (angle) and just screw into the tabs.

5. Lyle Creffield

Lyle Creffield Junior Member

Hi

i believe that welding angle say 50x50x8 and self tappers (screws) to fix ply would be the simplest interior fit out

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

To make an aluminum cruising boat more habitable many are foamed inside , insulates temp & noise.

Unfortunatly most spray foam is REALLY FLAMABLE so a "Cieling" (a full interior lining) is a requirement .

You will need to weld the tabs on before spraying the foam.

FAST FRED

7. Lyle Creffield

Lyle Creffield Junior Member

Fixings-internal

Hi

i do appoligise

i am thinking 10mm alloy hull so as to weld direct to hull

lyle

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.