alumimum

Discussion in 'Materials' started by boby boy, Mar 2, 2005.

1. boby boy

boby boy owner of cla boat design

I am currently looking for a new place to purchase aluminum for my projects. Does any one know of some good sources? If so please refer not only by company name but also by web site (if they have one).

:?:

2. thomas mattson

thomas mattson Junior Member

I beleive one number I have is 1-215-673-4645, another is 1-206-623-5800 Both sell bulk, and will give good advise. Make sure to use the marine grade aluminum. 50/86 or other marine grade. Never use none marine grade aluminum for boats. Some builders use 60/10, well 60/ something for frames. It is stronger, but I think staying with marine grade is a better idea, or go nuts and use copper nickel. Just like building with gold. I have actually thought about using a very thin layer of copper nickel for below the water line. AS long as the boat hull will not go beyond 30 or so nt's, the film on copper nickel will always protect the hull. No cleaning of the hull ever. Very nice. For copper nickel call 1-877-511-9986, and ask for Ilean.

Have a nice day.

Thomas

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.