introduction/my boat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by davipu, Sep 25, 2007.

1. davipu

davipu Junior Member

hi all,
    i'm new to the the forum and whould like to take a minute to introduce myself. i am the proud owner of a 36ft Ketch rigged steel hull built in 1974. the problem that i'm having is that sometime between 1991 when she was pulled out of the water for a refit, and when i had her delivered to my place to finish the refit (aug 2007) the plans were lost. so i am at a loss as to whare i whould find a set so i can start rebuilding. if anyone could give me some pointers as to whare i could find a set or to inform me of the designer and model, that whould be great. thanks Dave.
    some pics of her

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

First off Davi - welcome to the forum. Nice looking boat - shows potential. And that's as far as my 'knowledge' of the make or model extends.
    But, somewhere inside - usually on one of the cabin beams there should be a plate with maker's specifications attached. Failing that poke around the cockpit, behind any moveable panels. The designer and/or builder are bound to have 'signed' their work.

3. davipu

davipu Junior Member

ok, i poked around inside today. the interrior is basicly gutted, the steel of the hull was never primed, just insulated, and the previous owner stripped everything out. from the plywood floor up. no nameplate or anything to be found. and the cockpit is bare except for the throttle controls. i'll get some pics of the topside and the interrior tomarrow, i ran out of daylight today.

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

OK Davi - plan 'B'. Is the engine still in place ?
    If so check the engine number and try and trace back via the engine to whom it was supplied, and from them - into what it was fitted.

But hang about, one of the other members is bound to recognise her lines.

5. davipu

davipu Junior Member

no the engine is not in place, it's sitting in the back of my trailer.
    and i know it's not a Bruce Roberts, i emailed him with the link to this thread and he told me that this is not one of his.

6. davipu

davipu Junior Member

update,

plan b. it's a volvo penta md2b i called volvo north america they do not maintain records that far back, but they do have the manual, and the tech bullitins on thier website. and can provide me with engine tech information as needed. i also contacted the oregon state marine board again, to try and back track from the sticker number, they seem to have a thing whare they do not return phone calls or emails. pics of the deck, interior, cockpit, and my super custom mast hauler. ( i made it myself) she pulls great down the road, and the mast is high enough that most cars will go under it instead of hitting the mast. we have a higher than avarage number of distracted drivers in the pac nw for some reason. so i was really worried about that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my rust problem.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Has she been titled or received state registration numbers? It's quite likely she has a federal or state registration number on her somewhere. Often this is in a major structural element, like a deck beam, stern post, keel or other internal framing, where it's engraved, usually quite deeply (required) and very difficult to remove. Have an attorney contact the state registration folks, you'll get a quick reply.

8. davipu

davipu Junior Member

yes she has been regestired with the state of oregon, and i mentioned that in my last post, that they don't return phone calls... well they finally did today, wierd how that works, call them three times in one day and talk to three different operators and then finally get the person to call me back. unfortanatly all that is writen on the title of the boat under manufacture is "jake fahr"

9. davipu

davipu Junior Member

googled, no hits

10. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

If it's any consolation Davi - I've seen worse, much worse. But no way of consoling you when I suggest you've a long job ahead.At least there's no 'daylight' showing through the plates.

All I can suggest is that you take it in stages. Don't try and complete it in one long slog - or you'll end up hating the boat. Choose a single task - and go to it, then take a rest - a week or two - even longer. Then settle on another section - and go to it. Rest, and then another section, and so on. You're looking at a couple of years at least before completion.

First task I suggest is to strip off all the paint so you can see just what needs refurbishing/ patching. Get down to the bare hull.

It often helps if you just sit inside with a beer, or whatever - and dream. Finest thing for reviving the enthusiasm. And in between 'dreams' look around for suitable timber for future 'fittings' - and stack it away for when needed.

Talk to you again in, say 2010 ? :)

Hey - it can be done. But don't rush it. I once took four years restoring a 25-foot timber sloop - in far worse condition.

11. davipu

davipu Junior Member

it's not the rust that's bothering me, not the time, or work, but the not knowing who to curse while i'm sandblasting :D. for the lack of primer. if i could find out something about who the designer/builder is then i whould feel alot better.
    I have a 10 year plan in mind,corrosponding with me selling my house and retiring. this year i'm planning on finishing the boathouse, and sandblasting the inside. i've already cut all the pipe to length and have the 2x4's and tin for the roof. and i bought 3 pallets of sand off of craigslist last week.

I'm planning on 2 years to get her back into a floating hull, and another for the motor. then 7 more to refit the interrior.

a side note and another question. single chine hulls and ice. i want to do a northwest pasage and was going to plan on 2 summers. how does the ice affect the steel and does it matter on the hull design?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.