Sound for 2016 Sea Ray SPX 190 OB Powerboat

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by ChuckAdam, Nov 21, 2017.

1. ChuckAdam

ChuckAdam New Member

Hi Guys,

I joined this forum since I need some advice. I recently bought a 2016 Sea Ray from my mate who had it for less than a year and decided that he doesn't use it enough. The sound in the boat sucks pretty bad so I thought about installing some better speakers.
    The only problem is that I do not know much about marine speakers. I did read a guide and the Polk Audio DB521 5.25-Inch Coaxial Marine Speakers seem pretty cool. But I am going off a guide here so if anybody can give me some real-life advice then that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

It's mostly about price and availability. All speakers used in the marine environment, except for a very few high end deals are the same, either powered or passive. The powered ones are like the speakers your desktop computer has, a small built in amp and "driven" units. Most radios, CD players, etc. are powered, so a simple set of speakers are all you need. Look at impedance which is commonly 8Ω (ohms). Matching impedance can come to play when adding speakers to a system. Next, check the maximum input (power rating). The power rating shows how many watts can be stuffed into the speaker. There are multiple items in the specifications for power rating, depending on the method of measurement. In general, refer to the PGM (also shown as "Music" in some cases). Lastly, study the sound pressure level (SPL) that can be output. As with the power rating, there are multiple items in the specifications for the output SPL, depending on what measurements they list. The peak (max) value is the maximum output level for that speaker.

As a rule, larger diameter speakers can reproduce lower frequencies better than smaller ones. There once was a time where the enclosure was an important consideration, but not so much any more, so fit the ones you can squeeze into the space available and match your budget. Also consider that more costly speakers (generally) sound better (imagine that), so if you're a real music lover, get a good set.

BertKu likes this.
  3. Sam Gupta

Sam Gupta New Member

I think polk audio DB521 is a decent one to install. Basically DB series from polk is a premium segment with good quality. The other excellent factor in this speaker is good waterproof rating and hence occasional dip in the water does not create much issues. You can find a recent list of marine speakers here, if you choose to buy a new one.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.