I'm thinking about using a 40' by 16' hull. Looking for a builder and pros and cons.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by David Dewberry, Mar 23, 2006.

1. David Dewberry

David Dewberry Junior Member

I'm thinking about using a 40' by 16' fiberglass hull. Looking for a builder and pros and cons. I want to build a head boat with coi for about 30 passengers. I haven't personally seen any monohulls this short with such a wide beam. I would appreciate any advice on what I could exspect from a hull like this.

Thanks,
    David
    e-mail: pelicanadventures@cox.net

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

There are builders here on the east coast of Canada who build Cape Island and Northumberland Strait type boats in that size range. The wider he beam, the shorter the roll period of the boat. At some point the ride becomes distinctly uncomfortable, and your landlubber passengers might become adversely affected. At a beam ratio of 2.50:1, you might be in the vomit zone if you take them out in any waves.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.