alternative to sand blasting

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by tony c, Oct 4, 2017.

1. tony c

tony c New Member

hi all
    new to this site and am loving the posts I am reading, I have just acquired a 50ft steel yacht long story but was free I agreed to take on this project over the phone as I work in remote parts of Australia and I didn't get a chance to look at the boat when the opportunity arose.
    my first look at my yacht on the marina hardstand was heart breaking and I instantly thought I might get a few dollars for it as scrap.
    anyway after talking to a few different boat builders turns out it looks worse than what it is thank goodness but still a 30% rebuild and full internal fit out just cut grind and weld they all said all skills I have no problem with.
    anyway turns out that I am not allowed sand blast at the marina where I have the boat so am hoping someone can tell me the next best alternative to sand blasting
    cheers
    tony

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

50 foot is a lot of surface area, you can't use dinky tools.

4. tony c

tony c New Member

guess i should have been more specific i am looking at taking the paint of the hull im starting to think a lot of hours on the end of a grinder might have to do it

5. tony c

tony c New Member

dustless blasting looks like a good option might even be able to make a few bucks if i but a set up thanks for the thread

6. Mr Efficiency

Extreme high pressure water blasting will shift just about anything. Dangerous if handled carelessly.

7. Mikael Moge

Mikael Moge New Member

Hi,
    maybe using solid carbondioxide could be acceepted in your marina, leaves no solids from the blasting material. Frequently used where my boat is kept for removal of old epoxy or anti foul.
    Dry-ice blasting - Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry-ice_blasting

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

9. Mr Efficiency

Versatile stuff that molasses, rust remover, stock feed, makes rum !

10. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

Hi,

Move the boat to a location that you can sandblast. Seriously, it's the only way to clean up steel to an acceptable standard for immersion service. This is assuming the entire boat needs doing.

Cheers,
    Mark

11. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yeah, you might want to research the costs of these puppies, before thinking about looking over at Harbor Frieght for a cheaper one.

13. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I think the laser is your best bet but the marina might allow dustless blasting check this vid

14. jake101

jake101 Junior Member

You can get an attachment for a standard pressure blaster that you can use. I have used one before and it is quite effective. The whole setup was; $1100 AUD for a petrol/gas 4000psi pressure sprayer plus $110 AUD for the blaster attachment and 30$ for a new hose (the hose supplied with the attachment was not suction hose so it kept collapsing). I got the blasting media second hand from a sandblaster in town for free. It had a bit of old paint and crap in it so I ran it through a sieve first. The metal must be bone dry before you paint. I had an issue before that the paint manufacturer claimed was because there was still some moisture in the steel. It had been sitting in the sun in 40c dry heat for 2 days.

The other option recommend by Jotun is a Bristle Blaster.

They are around 1000 bucks a pop but better than needle guns in regards to surface prep (closest you can get by machine). As needle guns can leave a shinny surface.

15. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

I agree with Mark's comment. I've done a fair bit of blasting in the last few years. Nothing else I've seen comes close and anything less than clean is a waste of time.
    I have seen videos of pressure washers that suck up grit that do appear to clean but the impact area was so small that it would take forever to do a 50ft boat. Another factor is the difficulty of the clean up, wet grit sticks to everything.

This doesn't work. Grinding only hits the high spots but the active corrosion in the pits will be untouched.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.