Alternative to marvelous Buccaneer 24

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Gooday cobber. Can't make out the short mast - where is it?
    What's the big - red/white/yellow - thingy weigh? c/w all the standing rigging? in ready to sail mode?

Yes - shame about the wrinkles - but what's it matter - except to the eye? The 'power-side of the foil will be pressurised out & be a full smooth foil shape - yes/no ??? Lift-side pressure being greater - will pull it out full & smooth due to pressure difference - yes/no ???
    Since air laminar flow seperates away for the skin - from the leading edge of the wing-foil with ridgid skins & from the rear of the foil with soft skins - yes/no ??? why not use a highly tensioned sail fabric for the aft large part of the total wing skin ?? That method works - is light - is tried & proven !! Oh & very light as well as resillient or choose a very thin light mylar. Very user-friendly & eass to attach as well.

To keep the existing skin somewhat pre-tensioned (thus less wrinkles) why not allow the bottom template to raise & lower - up & down the main pivot-point extended mast section ?? You can easily make this automatically wind controlled - up & down - with the use of 'bungy-cord' IMHO We know that works & is infinitely variable & operates at least 100 ft before a person can react.

Why is the leading edge of the foil so thin? Why is the whole section so thin? How much does it bend-off at the top in say 15 to 20 kts?? Am after your thought process as I have so much to learn so I can continue to play with the 'planned' new wing-mast foil for the 44' tri. I have so much to learn & being so old I'm sure I need all the help you blokes might care to offer - so I can catch-up. Many thanks for any & all assistance.

Is there a 'control-foil' out the front or down the back - that allows the wing to adapt to the shifting wind direction & strength - which oscilates & pulsates through 15 degrees & up to 15% increase at a regular basic rhythmical sequence - yes/no ??? that would allow the wing to detect all the changes much faster that a person possibly could - just like a wind-feather up on the bow - yes/no ??

So there you are my friend - aren't you sorry that I've got my 4th new computer (4 super-cell lightening strikes have hit the house since early Dec & totally cooked 4 new computers - melted the 'mother-board' & everything else in them) & I'm now just trying to get-up to speed & rolling again.

My best to you Gary, Doug & everyone.
    Sure wsh I could - camp on your beach - so I could make tea/coffee, pick-up-sticks & just be a good 'geri-hat-trick fossile lacky - so I could get in your way. Ha ha. My very best - as always - ciao, james

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

James, Take it easy on a poor country boy.
    Here goes: The short mast is 4.3 m tall, including bearing and gantry.
    The red/grey/yellow thingy weighs 56 kgs without skin, add another 9 for skin and paint, say 65kgs. Sid's platform weighs 147kgs.
    No, I don't think the skin will pressurise out; if it does, it will be ripping the glue lines away from the frames and stringers. I sense an implication of disaster typing this.
    The reason I didn't go to light sail cloth or similar material is because I wanted a solid foil, no flapping (but it probably will) - also there is a reverse curve in the lower trailing edge. Also thought mylar wouldn't last in NZ savage climate; Sid has to be moored with wing horizontal, angled negative.
    No, I screwed up with the thin glass skins - but as mentioned, just want to see if the basic wing works. Later, maybe, there will be a 500mm flap added; the control lines are threaded inside. Friends are saying light Sid plus lifting wing, that the boat and crew will take off and fly to infinity.
    The movable frame templates is a good idea - but slightly complex.
    The bearing is set at a point similarly to balanced rudder so should be much the same. There are control lines, like main sheet plus a leading edge main sheet to set angles of attack, played as per normal, with hands, not automatic, no servos or foils or tails at this stage; also two braces will run forward to bow and back to cockpit (stop swinging when going through a tack or gybe), will refine later ... if, of course, the thingy works. Also two important sets of canting lines out onto the beam and back to cockpit. Plenty of rope.
    Glad you've survived the lightning strikes, better the computers than you. An uncle of mine, Colin Parkes, a very hard man, sitting on a horse while sheltering under a tree during a storm in 88 Valley, Nelson, lightning struck the tree and blasted him off the horse; he was okay but poor horse was killed. That same uncle, survived the Tangiwai train disaster when it plunged into the flooded river; he swam out through a broken window.

3. Gary Baigent

Oh, yes, sorry, why so thin? Because I wanted the least material amount for a light, yet strong result. Have found that thin wing masts are not difficult to keep in the groove, contrary to what some critics say. My earlier masts were thick sections, guaranteed not to stall - but heavy and unnecessary, just imo of course; have been known to be many times wrong.

4. warwick

warwick Senior Member

its interesting to see the progress from an idea to a finished boat and to see someone thinking outside the square, as to modern trimarans with over sized floats.

5. Silver Raven

About the 'thingy'

Gary I wish I could get so many 'thingys' so very wrong. WOW - mate - well done. you also know to get many many thingy's right - long before the rest of us got any idea of wherre you were going.

By the way - It all looks great - the 'thingy' of course. Congratulations!!!!

Warwick's got it right. - outside the square - with you Gary it's way way outside the square. Again congratulations.

Wish I could be there to see it sail. Maybe 1 day.I'll dig into some answers tomorrow. Tahnks for the reply - Mr. Country-boy & yes I'll be gentle & very respectful. Ciao, james - - Oh - yes I'm on the same team as your Uncle - the 'live team' - YES - - jj

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Looking good, Gary! Can't wait to see it all together and sailing. Good Luck!
    PS-thats some uncle!

7. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Why not get a conditioned power supply with a surge protector? During a storm it would be best to run on the battery away from any power lines....I had to anchor in a huge lightning storm that over took us a couple years back. I set close to an Island so the trees would draw the strikes. The worst moment was having to grab the anchor and chain as the world lit up and toss it over....
    You will be taking a parachute Gary?

8. Silver Raven

White hot.

Gooday 'cav-mk2' At the speed that Gary should get to - maybe the boundry layer will turn to steam & he'll land softly. I'm sure we all wish him the very best. I just wish I could get across 'the puddle' & be there in person. Go do it - Gary !!!!

Cav - we have 3 independent - surge protectors - each 10 mtrs (33') apart & thought that - that should work - but the last 3 strikes hit the house directly & travelled down wires in the house that were not being used at the time - such was the force of the power of the lightening. I've worked for our rural country electricity provider as their leading private sub-contractor for over 18 years - so thought I had some idea of how to be safe. foolish me !!

I can sure understand just how totally 'apprehensive' you must have been at that 'anchoring' time. I found myself standing - bare-foot in a large puddle of water - up to my ankles - when the lightening struck a steel post & ran-down & burnt the ground - just 8' from where I was standing. Thought I should return to inside the house just in case it 'struck' again. Very lucky to be - able to go sailing again. YES !!

GO FOR IT GARY YES YES ciao, james

9. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Resigned is more the word.....had to feed the line out and make sure the anchor set or another problem comes knocking, lots of wind too....I'm sure Gary will have fun sorting things out. I'd encourage some sort of rig drop lever for "jiffy" reefing, things will happen fast if Sid breaks loose in a gust but I'm sure Gary is ready for anything.just have someone with a camera!

10. Gary Baigent

Off topic again: test hoist of Groucho's new main; a tightened cunnngham will improve luff shape ... sailing tomorrow. There's Sid in background.
    Just finishing Sid's short mast, (carbon reinforcing strip planked mast, weighs 4 kgs without paint) and pivoting base gantry.

Attached Files:

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

That is such a good looking boat! Have fun.....

12. Silver Raven

'Groucho' flies again

Gooday bloke - - GOOD ONE - You must keep the pici's comming !! YES

WOW - great work Gary. Ciao, james (Still wish I was there)

13. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Gary. Sid looks so good there in the background.
    If you put elevons on I am sure it would fly. :D

14. Gary Baigent

Jacques and I went out this morning, light 5-7 knots wind, Groucho 9 knots to windward, 10.2 down, fastest with me not on helm - but top battens need work, halyard stretches loosening luff, so-so for first time - but will improve.

Attached Files:

15. Silver Raven

Good on 'Groucho'

1st sail - no breakages + well done.

Why faster etc etc - are you to heavy or can you tune-it better when not helming?

Battens look - very soft & the drive looks a tad to far back. Yes/no???

Get some dyneema - some of the 'hot-shots' in 'crews.org' should give you a great price (?), hay !!

Do you know anyone over there that owns a - fibreglass fishing rod blank manufactoring business??? find one if you can & go see him - ther-in lies the answer to all you batten problems (trust me). Light, stiff for weight, put the bend where you want it, cost effective, etc etc etc. Forget all these complicated modern composite battens - they are just having a lend of themselves.
    Well done - - keep going - - keep the camera working - couldn't wish you more-bette'er, eh. Ciao, james

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.