Alternative to marvelous Buccaneer 24

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Been seriously thinking about a kite, buzzly, certainly an answer to a lot of problems, light too.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=================
    Doesn't have to be either or does it? You could try one and then the other over time....

PS- you might even be able to borrow a big kite from someone like Peter Lynn--- http://www.peterlynnkites.com/ he's in Ashburton NZ!

3. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

Mmmm....
    I woke up and thought, there are quite a lot small aeroplanes experiencing similar conditions.
    Maybe just simple fix the wing in an appropriate position and in high winds keep Sid waterbalasted and/or with weights on planet earth, like mentioned before in this thread.
    Although I like kiting the tilting rig, personally, looks to be more attractive and fun to sail, more responsive if you like.
    And Gary, is pivoting the mast backwards than an better option?

Hielan

4. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

Gary, what about a 'slot frame' in the wing on the 'pivoting balance spot' with an enclosed sleevish canting/pivoting thing (Like with gaff rigs) in the wing connecting with the mast. The slot you cover with spandex or the like.
    You would be able to easy control lowering and hoisting the wing to desirable hight then fix it for sailing, anchoring or working on it.
    No need for fiddly mast lowering and the rig automatically be held on the pivoting/centre spot when sailing and always be centered on the most balanced place on board.

Cheers,
    Hielan

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  5. basil

basil Senior Member

Hi Gary,

I saw this a while back and just found is again on SA. I'm sure you've seen it too. Maybe a mast could be put up the inside of the soft/hard foil. Lowering and storage would simple lowered down the internal mast section and tying it down. Could also be reefed down.

http://index.hu/video/2011/05/21/attraktor_vitorla/

Tony

ps I'd like to see the Hungary boat sailing in a bit of breeze though

6. Gary Baigent

Thanks Hielan. You know, on that first wing failure I build a couple of decades ago, I had the lifting wing system you suggested, where the central supporting mast went through a slot in the wing, and I winched that great brute of a wing up the mast (which was heavily reinforced with carbon) but not enough apparently because when sailing, the carbon started pinging off ... that wing was all wrong, all my fault ... but the idea was probably okay. Mooring it across the beam was fine; lifting and controlling it was the problem, just too heavy.

7. HASYB

HASYB Senior Member

What was the problem with controlling, only the weight?

8. Gary Baigent

Half of leading section skinned in 2.5mm Fijian kauri ply, so far so good in the lightness department. Have been busy doing other things - like retrieving Groucho Marx when the boat disappeared from mooring during very high winds and went down harbour towards bridge at a terrifying (according to viewers) rate of knots, dragging tires too (sits on them when tide goes out) and saved from being returned to me in pieces wrapped up in remaining trampolines by Coast Guard, who did a marvelous job in savage conditions of getting it to nearby Westhaven.
    Mooring is fine, no lifting or cut warps ... mysterious.

Attached Files:

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

-----------------
    Whew! Glad Groucho made it. Wings coming along nicely. Was this unusual weather or can you count on it once in a while?

10. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

"Mooring is fine, no lifting or cut warps ... mysterious."

Aliens perhaps.!! :eek:
    They may have thought it an opposition to one of their UFOs. :rolleyes:

11. Gary Baigent

Very cool, OS7 - I thought the Marxist was just pissed that I was spending too much time on Sid, demanded attention.
    Doug, this place blows a lot, especially in equinoctial and late spring period. It's going to blow later today; we shifted G. Marx back home during a lull.

12. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Sorry to hear about the solo sailing Gary. We've chased a few of our boats over the years so I know the feeling. These days the mooring tackle is replaced on schedule, I let every one know we're current which cuts down on those mysteries....I'm still working off the beach but have things ready to go if we get a blow from the wrong direction, right now we have so much rain the cars need snorkels. If your center spar wing can hold a horizontal position they'd sell fast around here for sailing umbrellas.

13. cavalier mk2

Hey Gary, some of our recent local mysteries involve line to the boats-anchors/mooring pennants becoming half cleated yet wrapped so you might not notice if just taking a quick glance. Time dated photos can help when proving mysteries exist. A pain to have to spend time taking the grouch out of Groucho....

14. Gary Baigent

hi Cav, finally figured it out after squatting down and feeling all around beside the mooring (which hadn't moved - and I'd checked it before the blow): part of the area at the Motions Creek mouth next to Meola reef where we moor, is firm sandstone and you have to sledgehammer drive a half metre, bent looped top, metal rod into the stone to have a good holding mooring, which is what I've done ... but over time, with the boat moving with wind and tide changes, the underground area at the rod top has worked the sandstone, papas rock (s) into a handful sized area of sand, soft enough for my mooring loops to actually drop down and off, through the boat jerking and twitching backwards and forwards, mainly from the wing mast, in the blow ... and away Groucho went. So now I've driven two more metal stakes at different angles beside the original and run loops through all three.

15. cavalier mk2

Might be worth using a hammer drill for an oversize hole and setting the rod in concrete for the bonded hardware approach.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.