Alternative to marvelous Buccaneer 24

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Apr 18, 2010.

1. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

Gary,
    I thumbed through the Light Brigade PDF; Chris Cochrane is my kind of guy! I love the idea of cobbling together a fast trimaran out of plywood and spare parts... Helicopter blades? I would have loved to see something like that!!! Your boat looks incredible! I would love to hear more about the wing masts you have built...

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

The trouble with fences OS7 and Doug, is that they create horrible air bubble voids and drag with the boat pitching through waves, or even just riding through waves - which sort of destroys the original idea of cutting ventilation.
    Rapscallion, just search through the files here - there's quite a lot of stuff on wing mast design and construction. Agreed, Chris Cochrane had the right stuff approach, fast boat for the not wealthy. He designed and built an extrapolation on Dragon, called Timber Wolf ... which got damaged last year and owner Tim Willetts (sp) has new and very cool floats, foils etc built for it ... not a non wealthy boat anymore though.

3. Gary Baigent

Chris Cochrane's Dragon.

Attached Files:

4. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

If you are new to this forum and don't know what "The marvelous Buccaneer 24" looks like, here is a pic.

[​IMG]

5. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Incidentally ---that car in the pic is my 1967 Oldsmobile Delta 88 two door hardtop. They don't make cars like that any more. 350 cu in 310 BHP.
    Good for a solid 130mph. Could sit on the highway at 95mph all day. (they didn't have speed limits on the freeways in those days.) Used to drive from Toronto Ont. to Albany NY. in six hours including an hour stop for lunch.
    Please forgive the OT.

6. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

OS

Forgiven ! Collectors item now I bet, re- mortgage to run it !

RR

7. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Yeah Right. 14 MPG (20L/100K)
    No problem then. Petrol was 7c Litre.

8. rapscallion

My 300hp northstar gets 25+ mpg on the highway, and over 18 in town... if I take it easy :)

I think Chris Chochrane's approach goes beyond the wealthy/non-wealthy barrier. I look at it like this: All problems have multiple solutions, and the solutions can be grouped an infinite number of ways... for the moment lets group them into two overly simple categories:

1.) solve your problems by spending money
    2.) be creative.

The second category is more interesting to me than the first. Spending money doesn't require talent. Winning races doesn't require spending money... it requires talent.
    Yes, that is an overly simple view of things, and obviously doesn't apply to the big leagues, but I'm not in the big leagues.

I think a guy could build a trimaran with F25c performance out of plywood... The L7 prototype was built for less than 6000... and it was very close to F25c in performance with a beachcat rig!

I'll take clever over deep pockets any day...

9. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Opm*

* Other peoples money;) Actually, many of the best minds in the boat industry are occupied full time creating wonderful creations for their clients. For the rest of us, it is fun to see what we can do with the little or nothing:rolleyes: B

10. rapscallion

Any updates? How is the build coming along?

11. Gary Baigent

Have just fitted the J foils and cases into the floats, 3 degrees AoT; finished the steering assembly, finished the T foil rudder alterations, some below water painting required ... so when that's done, Sid will be ready to move. The weather here is shithouse at the moment but Sunday is supposed to clear.

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==============
    What! No pictures? What does AoT stand for-I can't seem to get it?
    Congratulations-I bet you're getting excited now.....

13. rapscallion

Awesome!!! Can't wait to hear about it!

14. Gary Baigent

Ah, sorry Doug, typo, angle of attack. Sid will be shifted in pieces and put together close to water. But further ahead, still wracking my tiny brain about how to design and more, how to handle, lift launch, store safely, a full wing rig. May be impossible ... so maybe I'll have to compromise. Nothing like savage squalls (which we've been receiving for the past week) to clear the head of delusions.

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

===========
    Gary, thanks. Do you toe-in the vertical section of the foil any? Will toe-in and angle of incidence(attack) be adjustable?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.