Future of GM based gas engines...

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Ilan Voyager, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

Everybody knows that we are in a deep financial and economical crisis...and GM seems on the verge of collapsing. In Europe, all the brands owned by GM (SAAB, Opel etc) are trying to save their skins by becoming independent from GM.

I won't comment the reasons of the actual situation of the GM, but I'm asking myself about the future of all the gas marine engines based on the GM engines. There are a lot of brands; Mercruiser, Volvo Penta, Power, Crusader etc.

Do you think there is a future for these engines if GM disappears? Do you think it's reasonable to counsel to someone to buy in this moment a Mercruiser (for example) engine?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Considering the huge number of GM engines in the market place, the after market outfits also making castings for these same engines and the simple fact that the tooling for these engines will be sold if GM goes belly up, it seems the likelihood of GM engines being around for at least a decade after a shut down is very probable.

In reality, GM is courting purchasers for SAAB, Opel and other divisions. These have been substantial money pits since purchase and the dead weight needs to be someone else's problem.

Don't hold your breath on GM folding up shop. It's unlikely the US government will permit this company to go belly up.

3. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Both the GM big block and small block V8 engines are incredibly well supported in the aftermarket. One can build entire engines from oil pans to air cleaners without a single factory part. They aren't going away anytime soon. My .02

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Just because company goes bankrupt (reorganiztion) does not mean thye close. Even popular unsupported engines still go on like detroit diesel. A chevy small block might be around well into next century.

5. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

GM's Electro-Motive division (EMD), originator (along with Ingersoll-Rand) of the 'hybrid' or more accurately, the electric transmission back in the 1920's, was in recent years briefly eclipsed as the world's number one maker of rail locomotives by General Electric, who had shrewdly muscled into that market by becoming a key supplier to GM's (then) chief rival, Alco. When that rival collapsed, GE stepped in with a buy out, and in the following decades slowly chipped away at GM's dominance simply by being cheaper.

But recently GM reasserted itself as the world's number one locomotive maker when the Chinese government signed a multi-decade contract naming GM to supply all the replacements for China's fleet of aging diesel-electric locos. With this deal, GM will be the Big Cuhuna in rail locos for at least the next 20 years.

But EMD turns out to be a wash as a subsidiary for the purpose of raising capital because of a pending huge lawsuit in the US over 'safety issues' with the headlights of it's older products. Seems GM locos never die (it's chief advantage over GE, there are still 1950's vintage GM locos in service all over the world including several here in Orlando) and these older products are often the target of costly lawsuits as they had fewer safety features compared to modern equipment.

Only in the USA :D

Jimbo

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Jimbo, Yep, go build something, be creative, make hundreds of jobs , try your best, and some jealous ******* or lawyer will gut you out.

Get rid of politicians, priests, accountants and lawyers and we will all be better off.

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

A copy of Hot Rod , or any similar auto nut magazine will convince you the GM blocks and parts (most far superior to stock) will be available virtually forever.

There are almost no reasons to need model T parts , yet they're still on the shelf , new.

FF

8. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Imagine

Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will live as one

NOT in our lifetime....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.