Alternative Motorsailer Rig

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by Yobarnacle, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Remote Disconnect

Found one. Will have to update my concept drawing. But I'll wait and research for cheaper, better.

BEP Marine Switch Battery 275A Cont 701MDVS
    $148 online

BEP MARINE MOTORIZED EMERGENCY PARALLEL BATTERY SWITCH WITH VOLTAGE SENSING #701-MDVS Designed for remote Emergency Parallel battery switching & dual battery charging, via the engine charging system. Switch can be remotely activated by using a momentary rocker, toggle or push button switch from the helm. Also automatically combines batteries by sensing voltage. When the start battery reaches 13.7V the switch turns on, paralleling the house battery for combined charge. When the engine is turned off, and the combined voltage drops to 12.8V, the switch turns off, isolating the batteries. Rated for charging systems up to 500A.

Attached Files:

2. Yobarnacle

The 'Dash" on IntrepiDos is the electrical center and accessible on it's back face inside the cabin. Fuses, circuit breaker, checking or servicing circuits at eye level,ect.
    I'll install the VHF in the cabin side of dash. Radio will be modified with a cutout toggle switch on radio speaker. Remote speaker/mike in wheelhouse has channel readout and select on mike. I like speaker/mikes because in high ambient noise situations, you hold the mike close to your ear to hear.

Also, since radio is in cabin, can relax at dock or anchor while awaiting an expected hail. normal mike in cabin. Cutout speaker switch eliminates annoying chatter in cabin when underway, without turning off radio.

3. Yobarnacle

Furuno Chingon

i like Furuno products. Had excellent experience many years. This is radio I want.

Furuno FM4000 VHF Radio with Hailer
    The Furuno FM4000 is a perfect radio for any commercial vessel or larger boat for fishing or cruising. With features like a 30 watt hailer, submersible waterproof rating and a included speaker microphone, you will have reliable communication.

SKU#:FU4000 MAN#:FM4000 ID#:2703
    Our Price: $537.95

Availability: Usually ships the next business day

FURUNO 001-086-330 Remote Handset For FM4000
    001-086-330List Price: $US 229.00Our Price: $US 179.00

Attached Files:

4. Yobarnacle

This isn't my boat or picture (used without permission) but mines an unpainted, dirty version of Albin 25 just like it.
    Viking North, you can see the engine box in the center. It hinges and flips aft. Good accessibility from in cabin. Engine box is now my battery box. The round aluminum plate with Albin logo cast in top, is a quarter turn to unlock, and lift out, inspection hatch for checking oil and fuel filters on original Albin diesel without needing to lift box.

That round hatch is now hydrogen escape vent when charging.

Attached Files:

5. Yobarnacle

this is Intrepidos when I first bought her. Fore and aft cabins

Attached Files:

6. Yobarnacle

this is after I pitched everything, and started roughing in new interior. I salvaged the cabin door and face of a hanging locker. The locker was taking up valuable cabin space in middle of cabin, so I moved it under a side deck. This area formerly was galley. It will be a writing desk and makeup table for my wife. I'll cut cubby holes or install drawers, un-decided.
    Wife spends a lot of time primping each day. I'd rather she had her area for this activity than clutter up the chart desk with creams and makeup.

viking, you can better see how deep is engine box, and accessible it is from inside cabin.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

7. Yobarnacle

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.