Alternative Motorsailer Rig

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by Yobarnacle, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

practiced eye not I

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I thought if you had something requiring two men say for a couple of days we could have a go at it. A volunteer for two days so pick your battle. :)

3. Yobarnacle

Thanks Geo. I'll try to have a 2 day worthwhile project for our collaboration when we can get together. If you only ave 2 days, maybe a 1 day project and a seatrial. Thanks.
    Obviously I'm twiddling my thumbs and waiting to head to work. Occupying myself with doodling, thinking, and internet.
    i've downloaded about 500 internet movies for my voyage

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Sounds good, On another note- Had a good friend Mike Williamson, was Captain most of his life, We spent 5 yrs. on and off working on his build, a 55ft. sailer. Dropped dead from a heart attack one morning halfway down the stairs from his bedroom. (67yrs.)Great ship operator, was qualified to drive just about everything, great guy on land but tough at sea. Old school British.

5. Yobarnacle

I'm tuff when I need to be. More often, I found psycology, understanding, and teamwork gets more co-operation than yelling and abusing.
    One quick example: Crewmember complains life is too short to put up with another hands bad atitude. I say,"Okay! You run around port and I'll flank him on starboard. We'll both jump on him and KILL him!" Usual response is, "Don't need to KILL him. He ain't quite THAT bad."
    It's verbally walking around the conference table and sitting down next to your opponent. "Hey, we're on the same side. Let's solve OUR problem."
    Also, the response"Ain't that bad!" is a retreat from a entrenched position, "Life's too short!" We have room for discussion and compromise.

Just one tactic I use.

6. Yobarnacle

couple of poles across radar arch and gallows and together with main boom, would make a good support for a boom tent above the cockpit roof. Double roof with air space between. Similar to what tent campers call a rain fly. Keeps the tropical sun off the main roof and everything stays cooler.

Attached Files:

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ok i'm confused or was I sleep walking. Didn't we have posts on wiring and battery coonections and my first lesson on the sextant some where on this thread --where did they go ?????

8. Yobarnacle

You generously contribute to many threads. Im not surprised you occasionally get confused. Those posts you refer were under electronic on thread "battery Cable Size".
    So I dont hijack that thread, I started new thread " Lost tech of Ancienrs" where i posted lesson 1 and 2 of sextant nav. if folks want, I'll post 8 more lessons. Not the total of celestial navigation, but the meat of it.
    Anybody wanting to study deeper like latitude from lunar diameter, are welcome to on their own. my instructiond will be how to find where you are if the battery goes dead! :)

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ok found it --thought i was going further into my memory black hole. What a relief to know i can still find I95 south.:) Thought I had reached that final awareness frontier. Ok, anyhow there's a project we can have a go at. While on the subject are you using liquid or gell batteries, if the former we have to be more aware of the Hydrogen gas build up. Some sort of range hood type cover over the batteries with a computer style exaust fan vented to the outside should look after it. Will have to check into it but i think gell cells emit little to no hydrogen. Just come in from the shop for a coffee break- running a string of lights in the boat shed/car port.

10. Yobarnacle

As of present, the batteries aboard IntrpiDos are a motley assortment of used lead/acid car/truck batteries of various size and amp-hour ratings. Many of them I got as dead junk and rejuvenated by an application of Epsom salt solution (magnesium salts) in the dead cells, and agitation during 2 days of charging. I picked up a bunch cheap, so installed all 10 that were good. Lead ballast. I remember toted 11 that were not salvageable back to dump and paid another $55 to dispose of again.
    I'll replace them with best batteries I can afford, upon return from africa. That will depend on whether I have 20 grand or 30 grand in my pocket.
    I'm open to suggestions.

11. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ok research time- lets open a thread - and get input -It's a field thats advancing fast due to electric automobiles and while i have a fairley good knowledge I bet it's been outdated in the last year---Geo.

12. Yobarnacle

opened a thread "Latest Batteries Tech" under hybrids under propulsion. I'll see who bites

13. Yobarnacle

Dash

How the helm station looked when I left and how I want it to look with a little help of pm paint

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  14. Yobarnacle

These photos were on a different thread so I'm reposting here for continuity.
    The Oday daysailer next to the Albin, I cut up and used the bow to add on a canoe stern to Albin. Final photo is after I installed and faired stern. Faired with foam and glass and fibergass resin mixed with white powdered chalk for chalklines. Good cheap filler and colorizer.

Also sanded off some gelcoat blisters near the bow and patched with bit of cloth and epoxy resin, as you see in photos. Had surprisingly few blisters for a 40 year old hull.

Attached Files:

15. Yobarnacle

Why Hydrofan 5 blade prop works on trolling motor

I have 2 side by side trolling motors, each with a hydrofan 5 blade prop, and Kort nozzle style prop guards. Specifications below are for but a single motor and prop. The Hydrofan is compound pitch, it takes a bigger bite near the hub where diameter is less, and the pitch gently flattens some toward the blade tips. At the greatest diameter it's much less agressive. I don't know for a fact, but I suspect the compound pitch is designed so all parts of the blade are doing equal work. The blades are high aspect foils. Compare the two photos, hydrofan is the aluminum colored prop. Actually its a Seagull proprietary metal. Very corrosion resistant. The trolling motors probably couldn't handle the fat bladed high pitch bronze prop. They swing the hydrofan just fine, and produce lots more thrust than the 2 blade plastic prop came with trolling motors.

part# 100/1409*
    11 inches diameter 5 blade
    27.5 Sq. Inches blade area
    10 Inches average, compound pitch
    Hydrofan
    British Seagull Century & Century Plus outboards
    suitable use:
    Full bodied boats , fishboats, scows 15 to 25 feet
    As an auxillary for boats 3 to five tons

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.