anti freeze & water

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by bobbym60, Mar 25, 2011.

1. bobbym60

bobbym60 New Member

i just boat this boat,first one ever,and i had to change the thermostat,so i did that,and its still pretty cold here so i poured water and antifreeze into the thermstat hoses to fill back up,why is it running out these two holes on my outdrive,the look like exhaust ports. my motor is a 3.0 mercruiser with an alpha drive,is it normal, still learning about my first boat.can anyone explain,thks

2. bobbym60

bobbym60 New Member

can anyone help me on answering this question i posted,thks

3. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

Is the antifreeze coming out the exhaust thru prop hub?
    The two exhaust relief holes on the transom assembly?
    Or is it coming out the inlet holes on both sides above the prop bullet?

Either way, make sure you are getting antifreeze into the block thru the hose from the water pump.
    When I've winterized, I start by draining out the water by removing freeze plugs and opening the drain cock.
    Then I then reinstall those and undo one end of the hose I need to pour rust-inhibiting antifreeze to fill the block.
    Then I put the hose clamp back on that and pour some thru the exhaust manifolds to displace all water there and thru the oil/power steering coolers for good measure.
    I keep a bucket under the drive to collect what flows out and be sure it's antifreeze colored.

Attached Files:

4. bobbym60

bobbym60 New Member

reply back

yes it is coming out of my 2 ports on each side where you say water is drawn in,so its normal then,not getting any out prop exhaust,thks for replying on my question

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It sounds like you put anti-freeze in the raw water cooling system. Do yourself a big favor and buy a repair manual for the drive you have, it will answer a lot of the common questions, you might have and possably enlighten you as the what type of cooling systems (yes more then one sometimes) you have on you particular configuration. In other words, it ain't a car so don't treat it like one.

6. bobbym60

bobbym60 New Member

reply back

so its still alright then,i ordered a service manual,but aint recieved it yet,thks for all the replys