Alluminum Boat Repaint

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Wesc, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Arrowmarine

Arrowmarine Senior Member

Little more advice: If you use a pressure washer, take an air nozzle and thoroughly blow out the areas that you are going to weld to make sure that there is no water in them(I always blow out my seams again the instant before I start welding just to make sure). Water will contaminate and make you weld worthless. Also, dont worry about it just because it is a boat hull. It's no different than welding anything else. If you burn thru, sand off any excess and use a air nozzle on one side and soapy water on the other to check for leaks. If you have a leak, clean all water and soap off(again, with the nozzle) and weld and sand again. Reapeat untill you got it. Believe me, even seasoned vets(myself included) have chased leaks and holes over several "fill and sand" cycles. Especially on old hulls that have a lot of contamination. For a used hull, the important part is clean, clean, clean!!! You will get a lot less porosity and a better flow of your weld. That means fewer chance of failures. If your not happy with your weld, grind it out, clean it up and try again:) If I can provide anymore help, let me know.
    Peace, Joey

2. Arrowmarine

Arrowmarine Senior Member

One more thing. If you sandblast, you still have to clean your joints with a wire wheel or small sander to eliminate the loose "sandy surface" of the aluminum that is left by the sandblasting. This stuff kinda makes your welds a little dirty and can cause porosity.(anyone who has welded a cast aluminum piece without dressing it up a little can testify to this). It's quick and easy and it will up your weld quality some.
    Joey

3. BackBouncer

BackBouncer New Member

Where in Oregon can I buy Zolatone paint to repaint my Alumaweld? Or, since this thread is 12 years old, is there another paint I can use?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.