all-manual diesel conversion for MZR

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by halfrhovsquared, Jan 17, 2020.

1. halfrhovsquared

halfrhovsquared Junior Member

You can take a 1.6L Peugeot/Citroen engine (DV 6) and replace the injection pump and injectors with a manual Bosch from a TDI. This lets the engine run without a battery or ECU once started with is great for simplicity and reliability. This conversion is good for up to about 110hp if you use an intercooled turbo.

Does anyone know if the same thing can be done to the Mazda MZR 2.2L (or better yet lighter Skyactiv) engine to get ~180hp with a really lightweight result? Obviously it won't be as fuel efficient as the stock engine with all the electronics and tuning. Light weight is important.

In other words- can the MZR function relatively efficiently on a manual injection only? Possibly with the use of their ceramic glow plugs because of the lower compression ratio?

2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

I think you mean mechanical injection, not manual injection.

3. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

You mean replace the existing electronic common rail system with an all mechanical direct injection? What's the weight advantage between an older 1,6 Al block and a new one?

The low compression diesels had start problems that could only be cured by piezo actuated injectors so I doubt it would function on mechanical DI.

4. halfrhovsquared

halfrhovsquared Junior Member

Good observation about wording- I meant mechanical not manual.

Difference between 1.6 and 2.2 is purely power output and power density. The Skyactiv diesel has very impressive power to weight ratios for their engines.

What about the MZR cold start improvement with its ceramic glow plugs plus variable exhaust valve lift (to open earlier while warming up)?

In other words- what has the most impact on cold starting- piezo injectors, glow plugs, or VVL?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020

5. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

The power output from a given capacity is a function of how much air and fuel you can put in for a given time. Mechanical injections can only do so much, that's why everybody switched to electronic control (plus emission standards of course).
    Power to weight ratios will be different for the same engine with different injection systems and settings.
    My question was: what is the weight difference between an older "native" mechanical DI aluminium engine and a new electronically controlled one? Once you take out the electronic CR, the available power will reduce to what the mechanical DI is capable of, so to make a difference in power to weight ratio the engine itself must be lighter.

I doubt you can operate the mazda skyactiv without electronics. I am not sure but I think the variable valve timing is electronicly controlled.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.