Transmission oil cooler location

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by missinginaction, Apr 5, 2018.

1. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

I'm finally getting around to installing a proper raw water strainer for my cooling system. I'll add the strainer directly downstream of the seacock. I use a Sherwood e-35 raw water pump and the transmission oil cooler is squeezed in between the raw water pump and the thermostat housing. It works fine but it's pretty crowded between the Sherwood pump, fuel pump, oil cooler, hoses, spark plug wires......makes servicing more difficult than it should be.

I'd like to move the oil cooler UPSTREAM relative to the Sherwood pump. I've looked in my Borg Warner manual and there isn't any recommendation one way or the other. What I'd end up with is water that flows as follows: Intake, strainer, V-drive, oil cooler, raw water pump, thermostat housing, through engine and out to manifolds and finally exhaust. BTW, I'm using good Shields/Trident wire reinforced hose.

Perhaps I'm over thinking this but is there any reason that the oil cooler needs to be downstream of the raw water pump?

Thanks, MIA

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The main problem with having negative pressure on the coolers, is that they may end up with dry spots. The positive pressure drives the water into all the cavities and drives the air out.

3. missinginaction

Thanks for the reply Gonzo. I finally found a Mercruiser article that showed the cooler mounted upstream of the raw water pump. I'm seeing it done both ways. For my little small block and Velvet Drive set up I can't see that it will make much difference either way. There have been about 50 views and you're the only one who commented. I suppose if there was any serious problem with this I'd have heard something by now. Thanks again....MIA

4. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

I think Gonzo is absolutely right here. The pump should operate without head losses at the suction side, i.e. all cooling components to be installed downstream pump. Most strainers do not stop fine mud from entering the system, and it will settle in the coolers, increasing the flow resistance, reducing the flow, increasing the water temperature into the pump; all of which is detrimental to the pump impeller.

With coolers in the pressure region, the impeller will last longer, and mud build-up is less probable (if partial blockage occurs, flow velocity increases when it happens in the pressure-side. If occurring in a suction-side cooler, it will cause cavitation and reduced flow). So, do it right from the beginning!

missinginaction likes this.

5. missinginaction

Thanks for the insight baeckmo. As I said I'm seeing it done both ways but what you say makes sense. If I understand correctly the pressure of the water coming out of the raw water pump would tend to scour out any debris that might be passing through the oil cooler, such as fine silt. The oil cooler is currently directly downstream from the SHerwood pump. I was thinking of moving it to make some other routine maintenance jobs easier. Based on what you're saying the original manufacturer (ThermoElectron) did it correctly. I can live with it. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. MIA

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.