Alien space ship?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by CDK, Jul 14, 2011.

1. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

Very ugly , another case of a computer program driving the design .

2. Luc Vernet

Luc Vernet Senior N.A.

Not as bad as it seems, and much better that from any loaded container ship wheelhouse!

The fourth of these 40+ meters yachts is under construction, and the price for one eight's share is not 1 M Euros but nearly double that (unless they dumped their price dramatically recently...?) For that price, you can "only" have a 1/8th. share of a 33m. Curvelle catamaran http://curvelle.com.).

In today's market, that is quite good and can be called a success that makes some negative comments here fall flat. Of course, each one has the right to express his feelings, but... :rolleyes:

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Luc,

Do you speak from experience, or is that simply your observation? (As mine was). I agree, in some quarters the visibility ought to be quite good - directly abeam for instance), but those "A-pillars" (for want of a better description) must impact considerably on the visibility off the forward quarters. So whilst I agree that the visual impact is an important aspect of the SOR in vessels like this, I also think it is encumbent on the designer to ensure that they as safe as is practical. When a styling element has such a marked impact on visibility (if I am correct in my assumption that it does, of course) then I think the design requires a re-think

I knew that more than one had been built, but am surprised they have been able to sell enough 'seats' to warrant 4... so it may be a financial success, but from a stylistic point of view, I'm afraid I would side with the others..it simply demonstrates there are more people with money than taste...

Only MHO, of course...;)

4. Deering

Deering Senior Member

That's not much of an endorsement.

5. Luc Vernet

Luc Vernet Senior N.A.

Yes Will: I was aboard Ocean Pearl in La Spezia last year. These boats are surely debatable, but undeniably stunning with their "Grand" stairs, and many look at them with admiration and envy!

Their designer, Sir Norma Foster, one of World's most prominent (building) Architects, with his strong personality and remarkable discourse is able to impose design concepts that others could not.

These boats commercial success is for a very good part due to N. Foster's own contacts and to the fact that many will love saying: "My yacht has been designed by Sir Norman Foster"!

After that, each one can have his opinion....but when seeing some of your own rather daring designs, Will, I am a bit surprised that you despise this one.

6. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

:D Well... I'll happily defer to your experience in terms of the visibility from the helm then...
    I also agree that its commercial success is no doubt down to the "Foster Factor", but as I said, for me it just doesn't work. Despise is too strong a word though. Perhaps it is more succesful in 'the flesh'...
    You are quite right in saying that I like progressive design... actually, I generally like good design regardless of the style and I would be the first to stand up to support those who are prepared to take a risk and produce something that stands out from the crowd. If it is succesful, others willingly copy the design cues. If it is not, those same people will snigger and shake their heads and wonder what the designer was thinking....
    I feel an element of hypocrisy coming on....perhaps it is time for me to shut up!;)

7. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Jeez
    monster staircase at the back
    monster staircase at the front

stairs and stairs and more stairs
    this "Sir" architect has a stairs brain
    sorry it's fugly

more for the small ***** society :p :p :p

8. kach22i

kach22i Architect

It's not that bad, dare to be different I say.

I'm not in love with it myself, but can respect certain aspects or intentions.

9. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I remember the first time I saw a plumb bow, I thought it was butt ugly. A proper clipper bow looked "right" to my minds eye. Same with giant roach mainsails, just didn't look right.

Today I don't think twice about either being "out of sorts" or ugly. Times change and so do our tastes. Does nnyone remember the tv commercials for the new VW beetle, showing it parked under a bridge arch or some other structure? Selling the timeless functionality and structure of the arch to get past the unique look of the car?

I'm not a particular fan of the "look" of the Pearl and I can't speak to her functionality but I applaud the bold design and the apparant financial sucess. I live in Ft Lauderdale, FL, I've seen worse.

And regarding financial sucess, is there any other real measure?

Steve

10. Deering

Deering Senior Member

Quite a few others actually. At least by my way of thinking.

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

my spectacular roomy just got tested clear of cancer after a nasty bout with Hodgkin's lymphoma, I'm thinking blazing success and thanks to all the doctors and staff involved

[​IMG]

12. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

In the big picture, I agree there are many measures of sucess, but in the world of for profit business financial sucess is the first and most important measure.

If your a Mom and Pop in a businees because you love it and financial gain above modest means is not important, that thats a win for Mom and Pop and they are a sucess. But if you're in business to make a profit then sucess is measured by finances, if we're being objective.

Steve

13. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

Gosh, that's ugly -a very subjective judgement I share with myself- looks like any pretentious post modern condo. Maybe a financial success. but I wouldn't be on this boat during a storm. The rear stairs are perfect for killing the old uncle in a "accident" and inherit the money. The coroner would not have any suspicion when looking at the stairs.

14. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

LOL !!! :D