Need help: adding external flotation pods

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by ghb69, Mar 22, 2006.

1. ghb69

ghb69 New Member

MY FIRST POSTING! sORRY IT'S SO WORDY.
    What's the best way to build and add fiberglass flotation pods to my 14' x 42" aluminum john boat to make it a good shallow water duck boat as well as fishing boat? {I know aluminum pods are commercially available, but too expensive}
    Some background: I built a pretty heavy plywood casting deck for fishing season and needed to move the battery and 12 gal. gas tank to the stern to help offset the bow weight. I added a doel fin on my 25 hp. motor and it seemed to help. But when I recently added a mini-jacker plate (lifting the motor up 3" and back 4"), it does run faster on the long run, but the boat takes a longer time to get up to plane. And now, if I slow down too quickly, I get a backwash over the transom. So, I'm thinking the pods would work even better with the new jack plate and I could just eliminate the oversized fin (in order to get maximum surface area on the pods and still allow for "kick-up" of the motor)
    Check out http://www.minnesotawaterfowler.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=1564 and you'll see what I'm trying to do. But, since I've never fiberglassed b-4, it's probably not as easy as it looks or as simple as he makes it sound.
    Thanks, for any advice.

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Actually it probably IS! With the foam to mold around, you can build up a few layers of mat then one of cloth. I personally would build them with wood backers, with bolts embeded so I could bolt as well as fillet and glass them to the hull.

Steve

3. ghb69

ghb69 New Member

Thanx! Gonna give it a try, including using the embedded bolts--good idea.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.