Alfa 36 sailboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tibi, Sep 8, 2017.

1. tibi

tibi New Member

Can someone help me design a deck for a Alfa 36 sailboat?
    I received a complete bottom and would like to build it

thank you

2. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

I've never heard of an Alpha 36. Maybe some more information might encourage replies. What is it made of, what deck layout do you like (aft cockpit, centre cockpit, raised deck house etc), where will it be used and what style of sailing? What is your skill level?

3. tibi

tibi New Member

Hello sorry
    Ok the boat is made out of fiberglass, i have only the bottom part
    I am trying to make a drawing in rhyno of it hopefully it will be accurate
    I been sailing in lake balaton(hungary) for 11 years now, but i never built a sailboat :)
    I would like to build a nice cruisingboat , nothing special just for having fun on it
    The told me this is a swedish alfa or alpha 36 bottom so i do not know who is the manufacturer

4. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

Building a 36ft boat is a big project. Do you have any of the parts to finish? Mast and sails for example or engine and drive. Do you have the ballast keel for the hull? What about the deck hardware? Is there a rudder? Basically, if you are going to have to buy all the components, even at used prices it will cost you significantly more than just going and buying a usable boat that may need some cleaning and small repairs. If you don't have experience of boat building then it's likely your finished project will never be worth as much money as you put in to it, never mind maybe five years of all your free time to complete it.

5. tibi

tibi New Member

I have some componenets, i have built cars before so i believe i will be ok
    I always wanted to build a boat so time and money is not a problem:)
    I have a company which has many machines so i believe i have most of the stuff i will need, i will only need guidance and ideas how it is done
    I will try to modell the boat in rhino, i do have aome questions:
    1.how do i make the top part of the deck?
    ( do i put wood on top and apply fiberglass to its shape?)
    2. Where to put the main sail mast? Is there a rule of % of the lengthe ?
    3. You have to insert something underit what holds it from the bottom inserted into the fiberglass somehow?

6. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

I am sorry to sound negative, but in car terms this is like finding a shell of a car (nothing more) and posting a question on a car forum on how to make it work.
    There are no easy answers to your questions, the mast position depends on the hull shape and importantly the keel which seems to be missing on your hull. The mast location also depends on the shape of the sails which is defined by the height of mast, length of boom etc.
    The mast base can be on deck or hull but the structure must be designed to take the loads from the rigging too which depend on your rig size and hull stability.

I think you would be much better off abandoning the hull and buying plans to build a boat. I know two people who have built VanDeStadt boats (for example) and spoke very well of the detail and simplicity of building. You could probably construct a VDS34 hull and deck in about the same time that it would take you to design and make the new deck for your hull. There are kits for both the hull and interior if you wanted to speed up the process and the rig parts can be bought 'off the shelf'. If you did the project sensibly you would finish with an attractive and functional boat whereas I think that is unlikely with the unknown hull that you have found.

7. osullivant

osullivant Junior Member

What Nick K says is correct but there are other ways.

Find a completed yacht using the same hull and follow the measurements regarding mast height, position, rudder size shape position weight distribution, keel type , location etc, with these details you can work out how to make a boat that will actually sail in a controllable way, or at least as well as an alfa 36 actually sails. You can then create whatever interior and finishing touches that you desire, working around the fixed/structural items.

An easier and probably equally enjoyable route would be to pick up an old large yacht from the 1980's, strip it back completly, and modify it to your requirements using a top end yacht such as HR or Oyster as a design template/palette of finishes.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.