Does boat Fenders / Bumbers have to be round ?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Fanie, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Does boat Fenders / Bumbers have to be round ?

I can understand that if they are round they would roll instead of scour, but there's more up and down movement which means they scour in any way.

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Well ?

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Mine are cylindrical. Some folks around here with the low-freeboard bass boats have fenders shaped like an upside-down L.

So yes, any shape goes.... although a 24" rubber duck between hullside and piling might draw a few raised eyebrows.

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

He he... at least it's a good use for them. They're not too popular around here, associated with an idiot that goes up and down up and down untill someone takes a shot at him and he buggers off :D

I'm just thinking they may be easier to store if they don't have to be round or cylindrical.

Thanks Matt.

5. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

There are some non-cylendrical ones, but they are much more expensive and harder to find. If storrage is a problem though just get some inflatable ones and when you need to put them away collaps them into pancakes.

6. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I've seen a few boats use a couple of long, thin cylindrical ones against the boat, spanned by a 2x6 between the fenders and the piling.... that seems to work.
    Carpet scraps also seem to be used now and then, preferably not the kind backed with natural fibres....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.