Hello

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by grizzly, Nov 20, 2011.

1. grizzly

grizzly Junior Member

Hi, all I am new to the forum. I have never build a real boat just some modles. I am looking at starting a project to build with my son and was hoping to get some educated and experienced advice.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Welcome, Grizzly.

I recommend you start with an easy stitch and glue kit boat from one of many reputable suppliers of same.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'd suggest you look around and find a design AND build method that best suits your needs.

Taped seam building methods (stitch and glue) tend to be fast and easy, but there's a lot of epoxy and 'glass work involved in most of these, which may not be something you'd like to fool with.

Ask yourself what type of project you want. More traditional build methods, such as plank on frame has many more pieces involved, but much less goo and 'glass work. Cutting and fitting parts with your son can be pretty rewarding, even if it means more parts to cut and install, compared to taped seam.

Look long and hard at different designs and methods as it's just as easy to build a boat you'll hate to assemble and own then one you'll enjoy.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I must admit PAR makes a good argument; one with which I agree. Traditional frame build is easier.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'm not going to suggest either is the easiest for you. You need to do the research and make the decision as best as you can. Some find working with epoxy is easy and rewarding, others find it a goo they don't want anything to do with. I don't know which you'll be, but traditional builds (carvel, lapstrake, etc.) tend to be easy to understand for the novice. Cut out the part, trim to fit, screw it in place, move on to the next part, etc.

This said, I can build a taped seam boat faster then a traditional build and I enjoy the smaller BOM and parts list too. I'm not sure what you want from the build Grizzly, but different experiences can be had from a project like this and you're the one that makes this decision.

6. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

1 person likes this.

7. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.