Al Sorenson's bilding technique

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by MarkC, May 31, 2005.

1. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

Ken Hankinson used to run a web-site that featured quite a few interesting boats. Alas he has retired - the site is no more, and there has been no word on further supply of plans. :( My fault - if I had just bought the plans I wanted.

One section of this site was devoted to small Tugboats plans and featured metal-boat-bilder Al Sorenson and his technique of very-light steel boat building - using 'tempering' I believe for fairing (or strength??).

From my memory it looked like 'longitudinal stringers' in the form of flat-bar on a jig, with thin steel-plate welded/attached to these stringers, then this plate heated in 'spots' - I cant remember if it was one, two or three 'tempering spots' per plate.

I have seen 'similar' spots on other, much larger steel boats under construction - also 'tempering'?

Question: Was this process used by Al Sorensen and featured on Ken's web-site really novel - or is it something that most steel-boat manufacturers have a good handle on?

Was there a book/info pamphlet offered by ken that outlined this process?

In effect, this process looked interesting and I would like to keep it circulating here for interest sake - and for my information too!

2. kmorin

kmorin Senior Member

technique for steel hulls

I believe Boatbuilder magazine had a series of articles by K Hankinsen that showed a small steel tug in build and described this technique about four years ago. (not sure of dates of issues)

Cheers
    kmorin

3. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

The article was by Mike Kasten, who has a website.

The technique of heating is called "line heating". Google it.

4. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

Thanks for the answers and the info -

googled up 'line heating' - one site from MIT Ocean Fabrication Division or so.

'line heating for forming flat-plate into three-dimentional forms - used in boat building for 30 years - very much a 'hands-on' process, experience etc.'

Not much more info that I could find. Maybe I missed something - but I did spend some time.

I read Kasten's articles:

(an excellent PDF - a Metal boat society quarterly about all metals) - found a very little on tempering and annealing.)

I didnt find anything on line heating or Al Sorensen.

I will email 'boatbilder' and ask for the correct copy.

and short of disturbing Kasten Marine with an email - is there anything else?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.