Al Mason Oceania and Nordkust

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by hurley, Jul 30, 2006.

1. hurley

hurley New Member

I'm hoping some one out there might advise me on two yacht designs, plans, past builds etc. The Oceania and The Nordkust were I beleive designed by Al Mason and the plans were at one time available from Ken Hankinson. I found the Al Mason website http://www.a-mason-na.com but can't get any response.

Has anyone got any info on these boats, 32' ketch and 33' cutter, both double enders in wood.

Thanks

2. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

It is a bit of a quandry these older boat designs.

Asking in www.duckworks.com or org might be the go - they have a bit of discussion on the older (1930/40/50/60's) designs. Or at least see their take on things.

www.woodenboat.com might also be able to help. I have read Mr Mason's daughter post on woodenboat about her (late) father's plans.

It is, unfortunately, the same with most of the older designers and plans; how about the Atkins, Weston Farmer, Zimmer, Sam Rabl, from the US - and the laurent giles, marice griffiths, alan buchannan etc. from the UK . Vies de Lentch and koopmans from Holland. Alan Payne from Australia and Ganley from New Zealand.

No-one seems to be able to 'put their finger on them' so-to-speak. Are they a safe design? Will they function well?

Some are brave and simply decide 'I will build it'.

Suggestion = take the design to a yacht designer and say 'I like this!' is there any problems or suggestions you can make? Then all your bases are covered.

3. hurley

hurley New Member

Many thanks Mark, I will try the other forums as well as you suggest (and share any info I get).

You mentioned reading remarks made by Mr Masons dughters regarding her late father's plans, do you remember what these were in general terms please?

Jonathan

4. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

I remember a conversation on Woodenboat between Mason's daughter (I have forgotten her name) and the son of Alan Payne (Australian designer of note). His son, David Payne is a yacht designer in his own right.

They were commenting on how to archive their respective father's works. Some paper-plans were desintergrating, some unlabelled sketches - which boat did they belong? How to answer the questions people have etc. Discussing what to do to get everything in order. David Payne expressed the problem that with his own work schedules, how would he find the time to archive, catalogue all his father's work? If you are reading this David - how is it going??

Mrs Atkin has made a good web-presence of her late husband and his father's works. One can purchase plans - and there is a blog-site to ask questions. Fair-metal-boats has a good web-presence for Ganley's plans (duckworks and woodenboat new zealand also). Mrs Bucannan has started a 'society' for those interested and the rights to Maurice Griffith's plans are being argued over. So the ability to find information and plans is not the same across the board.

Ms Mason may be on summer holiday? Try asking on the wwoodenboat forum.

These boats were designed some time ago. Owners might be hard to find - were probably sailing over 40 years ago. Unless the boat was a common sight (H28, Folkboat etc) then it may be difficult to find anyone who remembers. But you knew that anyway. (And there is an option for you too - the Ostkust, to me, could pass as an American version of the Folkboat, but that is just my opinion).

5. jwluce

jwluce New Member

Mason Oceania

Al Mason's Oceania design was his improvement/update on John Hanna's Tahiti ketch. I owned and made ocean passages in a Tahiti. Then I built and made ocean passages in an Oceania. The Oceania is a significant improvement. Mine is now 42 years old and still going strong with her ninth owner. If you still have an interest, I would be pleased to discuss it further. John W. Luce, jwluce@ieee.org

6. Milan

Milan Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.