AIT Around In Ten

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

2. Poida

Poida Senior Member

May I add my name the list to the people who find this type of venture irresponsible and stupid. I for one find that spending taxpayers money trying to rescue these half wits when they get into trouble deplorable.

They all have GPS tracking devises, radios and know that when they get into trouble they can radio for help and the closest country is obliged to assist in accordance with maritime laws.

A far cry from the original adventurers who circumnavigated the earth.

Poida

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

The original rules were:

The Rules for a race around the world in a ten foot sail boat (www.AroundInTen.com):
    • The boat shall be exactly 10ft long. Any rudders, spars, self-steering gear or other protrusions beyond 10ft must be removable.
    • The race will start in the Bahamas in January 2009.
    • Anyone can take part, any age-group, male or female and from any country in the world.
    • is a single-handed race. Apart from the skipper (Racer), no one else is allowed on-board once the race has started.
    • The boat can be self designed and self built or designed by someone else and built by someone else.
    • The race is restricted to monohulls (No catamarans or trimarans).

Attached Files:

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

when you look at this list

http://www.microcruising.com/famoussmallboats.htm

most these adventures were 1950 to 1990 - then we became soft and over regulated - now people are too scared to cross the road and three quarters of the world is so fat that they cant get off the bed to poop or change the TV channel.

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      293.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

The very successful school teacher 1979

After his voyage to Sydney, Australia, Gerry came back to his native Minnesota and donated Yankee Girl to the Minnesota Historical Society, where she became a part of the society's historical treasures. Gerry visited her from time to time when she was on display, and, he told me he sometimes wishes he had "his little girl" back.

http://www.sailingbreezes.com/sailing_breezes_current/articles/Nov05/yankeegirl1.htm
    http://www.sailingbreezes.com/sailing_breezes_current/articles/feb06/yankeegirl.htm

Attached Files:

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Ok folks here we start :D :D :D

Here is a time-lapse video I made with iPhone-OSnap-app of my 10 foot hull design for AIT
    It gives a good feel for the hull in 3D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpcbBeD15f0

My concept is a hull similar to that of Sven and a bulkhead dividing the boat in 2 compartments.
    The rear/stern compartment is a sitting and steering section and the front/bow section is a water tight "always dry" sleeping compartment.

balanced lug sail - probably similar to what I am building for my own boat at the moment

long keel and skeg to support rudder

rudder stock/shaft inside boat so that the tiller is actually inside to boat for easy inside steering

next step is to get it going in cad and then I will sort out more details.

Attached Files:

7. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

After an absence of quite a time now, and bored this afternoon and decided to see whats going on at my old haunts and saw this crap, I just had to come out of retirement, more so because its aimed at one of my best friends....

In a space of 11 posts this troll repeated himself with three posts going from bad to worse. If you do not like what you see, move on and leave the subject at hand to those who are interested and can be constructive to the thread.

Seems like if something does not measures up to your self justified superior way of views, it is rubbish. But do I have news for you - the world is bigger from that dry piece of desert they call Texas where your from and Manie is ten times the person you are by just ignoring your remarks - perhaps you should have done the same with the OP's first post:rolleyes:

By signing off as narrow minded you said it all as proven with your three posts. With such a stupid username what else could someone expected. Congratulations.

BTW, you remind of someone from this forum's past who made life very miserable with his distorted views (stupidity) and rudeness to others whom dared to disagree to the world known as BS :(

A side note to Manie not applicable to forum members or content of this thread:
    Dankie vir die sketse en boodskap in my epos, het dit gekry. Sien uit dat jy begin. Lewe ou Mliton en sy pel nog in die kanale van Frankryk? Ek begin ook binnekort my platboom visvang boot uit plywood. Het my Sewe verkoop nadat ek dit 7 maande gery het - was 'n aanbod wat ek nie kon weier nie en deur oopgemaak vir nuwe uitdagings en projekte

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Wynand glad to see you out of retirement :cool::cool::cool:

Anyway as you can guess by now I have been asked to look into the AIT concept by a couple of mates - associates - and other jotties.

Look one thing that we must understand that there are still a couple of rock and roll hippies alive and well and "never say die"

My son is now in Taiwan and my Daughter in Bloem. The house is empty so I will finish my boat and start to get a AIT project on the go for the gang.

Milton and Gerald are now both around 83 years old and had a fantastic time in France on that "home made" house boat - and you simply wont believe it - Milton is building a 38 ft cat for himself. Thank gawd you met Milton yourself or else you simply would not believe that a man like that is alive and well.

ANYWAY here is the first concept drawing of the "10" as I am now preparing the CAD layouts for you and Dries.
    This is the idea - lets kick it around.
    The liveability comes from some good experiences on my boat so the idea is not that strange, chop off a piece of the front and back of my boat and you have 3 meters anyway.

check out this drawing

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Attached Files:

9. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

With respect....

Why the sea-going can buoy shape if it's a race? Perhaps I'm not clear (likely), but if it is a race then the reason to be out there is to WIN....right? I understand that Sven is not racing against anyone (no competition) thus the barrel, but for AIT (proposed distance race) wouldn't a real sailing boat make some sense?

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi Tad, good question, kinda 2 answers, and appreciate your input.
    We are not looking at non stop, just a couple of very short stops.

Yes you are correct that a "standard" design would be faster in a "race" but I think we should rather use the word "challenge" like the Jester Challenge http://www.jesterinfo.org/index.html

We are approaching the problem from the point of view that a "winner" would be more likely to come from "staying power" than from speed.

What our concern is at the moment is that we are designing for 100 day legs with 50 days reserve supplies (150 days total)
    I am working on minimum 1 kg food and 2 litres of water per day x 150 days = 450 kg "provisions"

I am also working on a boat that is fairly "high tech"
    2 x 105 amp batteries
    2 x 40 watt solar panels
    1 x Raymarine ST 1000 tiller pilot
    maybe a small watermaker (desalinator)
    2.5 hp Honda 4stroke outboard + 50 liters fuel (2 tanks)

I am already seeing a displacement of 1500 kgs and have allowed 2000 kg displacement at 650 mm draft.
    So there goes speed down the tube anyway for a 3m boat.
    What is amazing is that Yankee Girl did between 65 and 95 nm a day

So that is what the thinking is at the moment on this side.

11. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Junior Member

With the original race course for AIT (?), legs 2, 3, & 4 look fairly substantial. I haven't counted how many kilometres/miles but you'd probably need something like at least 100-150 days of provision to be able to cross them with margin at 2-3 knots?

[​IMG]

12. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Wynand,

To each his own.

This is an open forum, correct?

It is good that you can count, just to help this is #4.

How many from Mannie? But only posts which disagree with you count as trolling?

However, I do agree I should have just ignored the whole thing, thanks for the suggestion.

13. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

The Microyacht site is talking about the "Madeira Challange 2014" from Falmouth UK to the Canaries (and back?)......

But these AIT designs are intended for the big one? RTW? With stops to re-provision?

My thinking was to take some experience from the Minis (Trans Atlantic). A faster boat with high performance foils (able to point high and low drag off wind) will make the passage quicker and thus could carry less stuff......If your base speed is a s/l of 1, that's 3 knots or 72 miles per day (Yankee Girl came close to that) but s/l 1.1 is 3.5 knots and 84 mpd, an increase of 16%. That should equal a reduction in stores of 16%, a big deal.

Also designing for full load when the boat will be empty towards the end of the passage is something to consider.

Freeze dried food can get the 3 meals down at 500g per day. What about making water with a cycle pedal system? Possible? And does it "burn" more than it produces? I think the minis all use fuel cells as a lighter weight solution.......

14. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

QUESTION, How come I only have hard, dry corn cornels and hard white rice on this small boat? Answer, they are very easy to pack and get soft when mixed with sea water or rain. OH, not rice again.............................................
    I like Tad's thought on design, do everything to make this trip shorter.

15. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.