AIT Around In Ten

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Feb 7, 2014.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

True... but the asymmetric shape would allow a large squarish shaped cabin (as shown in the diag) maximizing room along the sides. Lets you sit further off center or lean back against the cabin side.

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Here's Roger Taylor's Achilles 24, note the raised coach roof for standing headroom and a reduced stability when 180° inverted I guess...
    [​IMG]
    I've put some links to it on Manie's build thread in post #923 and below.

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Just a note on the seating.

At the moment I have a comfortable centre seat facing forward.
    Nice cushions, leg room, etc.
    I can sit there with the hatches open or closed.
    These pictures are old pics that I took when I was building.

Now that I have spent many days cruising with the boat, please believe me a centre seat is not nice. It's murder on your back when the boat heels. For me the only way to go is sitting on the lee-side, still high enough that you can see out thru the windows, but in a relaxed reclining position.
    I now have to slide into my "lee" seats, propped up with cushions, and it is waaaay more comfortable reclining back and reading or listening to music.

I know this takes up more space because you have to have 2 seats, but for me it's an absolute necessity.
    And we will do the full calculations for righting, but no side decks for me at all. Rather more ballast.

Oh ;) one more thing :cool: a 3m boat (10 feet) is HUGE for me because I am a short **** at 5'7" (1.70m) and 85kg (187 lbs) So I definitely wont make the basket ball team :p
    So jeez guys at 6'7" and 6'4" how's the weather up there :D

Attached Files:

• 848.JPG
      848.JPG
      File size:
      150.3 KB
      Views:
    • 854.JPG
      854.JPG
      File size:
      152.1 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  4. Angélique

I think a narrow fit is more comfortable because you don't have to brace against sliding and can rest against side cushions.

-- See Sven's previous boat Yrvind.com -- August 23, 2009 -- (note the couch roof and its sides are not mounted yet) --

5. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

I kinda like this. Yes I know its 'big' at 15ft. I think the keel is a fraction too deep, maybe that is just me. Shame we were not born with bigger feet, or had 14 fingers, then the desire to get to 3.05m (10ft) could be expressed as a desire to build a boat 4.3m long

http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/farthing.htm

my doodle

[​IMG]

6. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

and Im Elvis Presley, alive and well rocking in Welkom;)

People, Im only 1.76m tall and towers above Manie..... Perhaps you can now understand his obsession with an AIT - a boat he can fit in comfortably:D

Go for it Manie. BTW, how are the keel and mast of Fargo getting on - cannot wait for our sailing weekend at the Vaal when you're done :cool:

Tomorrow my new project starts officially...

7. wescraft

wescraft powder monkey

Manie,

that's not short, just compact:D

besides, try finding pants that fit when you're this height...

anyway, did a mockup of the boat this weekend and have decided to raise the sheer line a few inches. it will increase headroom, and help with any boarding seas I run into.

also, I'm like you when I sail, I like to sit sideways, it's just more natural to me than sitting facing forward and trying to lean into the heel... that's why I went with the offset hatch. when it's closed due to weather concerns, i'll be able lean against the coach side wall. that seat will also serve to hide the potty. a simple shelf to slide back and voila you have the toilet.

8. RHP

RHP Senior Member

That explains why Manie's 10' design has forecabin and pilot berths... :p

9. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

:D
    exactly

good one :D

10. Angélique

The A-frame dual staysail rig looks nice, kinda "cutter" without a main . . :)

On each corner a little bumpkin + bobstay will lower tensions on back stays and chainplates, it also provides more handholds for re-boarding from the rear.

11. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

12. wescraft

wescraft powder monkey

Very cool!

can't find much info on the "so do it" class that they quote. the boat doesn't appear to be all that large and more like what we are talking about for the AIT.

thanks Angelique, will post pictures of the mockup I am working on as soon as I get a little more finished on it.

13. Angélique

Some info found on: Puddle Duck Racer ---> Unusual Types Of Sail Rigs

14. wescraft

wescraft powder monkey

Angelique,

I had thought about your idea of using a bumpkin before. but my thought f was to add a small main sail. though I was having an issue with how to attach the mail to an A-frame mast set up. though I suppose one could use a mizzen mast further aft?

15. Eric17

Eric17 Junior Member

A frame rig

Angelique, this thing certainly isn't a Ljungström rig !!!

The real Ljungström rig is a rotating unstayed mast, with twin sail that can wrap around
    I wrote a page about this : http://www.nauticaltrek.com/12771-2...-mats-non-haubanes-montaubin-hobie-raptor-etc
    Well, all in French, sory...

OK, sometimes people call "twin jibs" a Ljungstrom rig, but Fredrik Ljungstrom himself only used mainsails, even if twin ones....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.