VW/AUDI 3.0TDI marinising

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by MihaS, Nov 2, 2011.

1. MihaS

MihaS Junior Member

Hi to all

I start to marinize vw/audi engine 1 year ago.And now project will proceed,but I have few questions if somebody can help.
    Engine is V6 3.0tdi with 233ps with 450nM torq used in all high class cars from their brand.Its also used in original VW marine/CMD marine./vw 6-265 model.
    So engine is turbocharged-intercooled and can achive 275ps and 550 nm torq with chip tuning.
    I buy original exhaust from vw marine,front mountings i made from inox,then i have to turn around 140a generator,because there is rigt side mounting. I made flange to fit mercruiser.And I use intercooler and heat exchanger from company SCAM Rijeka(croatia).
    Then was a lot of work with electrical wiring and ECU,because car have a more indicators that station engine.
    RAw water pump I use 1
    Now the questions:
    1.for heat exchanger I buy scam
    http://scam-marine.hr/view.asp?language=english&idlan=1
    but when I was checking original engine ,the size of heat exchanger is 1/2 of this SCAM. SO can I use smaller one.Like 300/100.?
    2. WHich flexibile coupler some sugestions(flywheel is 280mm). I was looking this
    http://scam-marine.hr/view.asp?p=205&c=56

Uh
    Motor runs good and very smood,best! Pictures and movie I will attach later.
    If you have any sugestions please advise.
    I will have more questions later sure:rolleyes:
    Thanks

2. altinlala

altinlala New Member

Pics

Looking foreward...
    Trying the same two times for my new Riva Aquamarina.

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The Scam heat exchanger page says "no data".

As for the engine coupler, this is a smooth running V6 so you can use any coupler that fits the Mercruiser splined shaft, like the ones offered by Sierra marine. You may have to drill some additional mounting holes in the flywheel, but since it is cast iron that is no big deal.

4. MihaS

MihaS Junior Member

5. MihaS

MihaS Junior Member

In first post i write that i will instal heat exchanger SCAM 400-130, but i see that I have in my garage 300-130.
    http://scam-marine.hr/view.asp?language=english&idlan=1

So the 300-130 have cooling area 0,99m2, but this piece is very hevy and like i told you, original VW marine have 1/2 size of this. Can I install smaller 300-100,which have 0,60m2 cooling area.
    Are any calculations about how much cooling area per PS

CDK. I know that this engine is very smooth running,but we cant easy balance mercruiser coupler on homemade flywheel.

Can you advise me any other conection(rubber) between pump and crankshaft.

Thanks

6. MihaS

MihaS Junior Member

7. MihaS

MihaS Junior Member

8. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

The motor you are playing with is the same as the Hyundai 3 litr marine engine check out this place http://www.hyundaiseasallusa.com/S250_Engine.php :eek:

9. MihaS

MihaS Junior Member

How the same?
    Hyuindai - VW

10. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

vw /hyundai motor just its a much better motor , is made of differant materials and lighter weight and much stronger all over . is much more economical to run and very smooth motor when going . you should look seriously at the pictures and check it out thouroughly go to hyundai site in South Korea . :idea:

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If you going to marinise look for something from a 4 wheel drive , reason being torque.

You need torque and then some, no point in a little deisel out of a Golf.

You need one out of a pick up truck and there is loads of em in the 2.5 3 liter range.

Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Ford, Mazda ( same) and best-- Nissan they already have a marine Nissan.

12. MihaS

MihaS Junior Member

I didn find any Nissan inboard engine.
    Maybe on the market is any other better engine,but for VW I have trust and parts are available on every corner in Europe.
    Maybe you dont know ,the heaviest part of marinisation new style engines is ECU remaping,so for VW I know how it goes.
    Parts wich you can buy is best way to buy if thr price is reasonable.Exhaust is with discount is 500€,but for example intercooler is 3000€.
    HYUINDAI is sure good engine, but im not looking which engine I can buy for 25000€.
    Im small maker of pleasure boat in SLOVENIA and I install in my model from MERCRUISER 5.0mpi,STEYR diesel 144ps, LOMBARDINI MARINE 200ps.
    With Steyr ,boat achives 27knots -bravo 3 20pitch props
    Lombardini marine is 5 cilynder engine and have a lot of torque boat achives 37knots with Bravo 3 and 26 pitch

I have trust in Eu brands of engines,so i will proceed with them.

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

14. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The 300-130 seems the right size to me.
    I assume the construction is about the same as Bowman. Their smallest exchanger is the GL-140, rated very conservatively at 240 hp. It is slightly larger than the 300-130, so I cannot imagine an exchanger with half that size having the same capacity.

Please explain what you mean with 'balance mercruiser coupler'. If you made your own flywheel you will certainly be able to attach a coupler to it. Should the protruding rubber part bother you, cut a ring of sheet metal with the same diameter as the flywheel and use that as a template.

15. MihaS

MihaS Junior Member

Ok thanks for yours opinion,but in second link which I send ,there you will see original size of heat exchanger. But guys from SCAM they told me that this original is made like from VOLVO KAD44 or others ,not just tubes also alum plates. And those plates make bigger m2. What do you think?
    For balancing i mean in German language zentrierung, i know that i can balance on router. But all together, flywheel and coupler must be centered in center so i have to find some company. I allready make coupler on smaller diameter like my flywheel but centering on outer diameter it seems to not be good idea,because shaft is in center,mercruiser coupler is made in not so precision, outer and iner diameter seems not be balanced.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.