Airbus AL FRP Composite for Sven Yrvind 4 meters design

Discussion in 'Materials' started by mustafaumut, Oct 4, 2008.

1. mustafaumut

mustafaumut Junior Member

Hello ,

I watched Discovery and saw this stuff.
    Engineer was showing paper thin aluminium and epoxy fiberglass on it and it was extremelly strong.
    If I wanted to build Sven Yrvind 4 meters canoe shaped ocean boat ,
    What is the best optimisation for aluminium thickness and epoxy glass fiber use.
    I will use post per 40 centimeters hull with composite or plywood
    I need the cheapest solution .
    I am thinking to create the posts first than to assemble sections than to pack them to smallest space and post to the sea side and assemble the sections with glueing them with epoxy.
    Bare fiberglass is expensive and bare plywood is not marine quality.
    Plastic core is hyper expensive.

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Plastic core is hyper expensive.

You got to be kidding!''

The aircraft folks are the only folks on earth (well perhaps the spacecraft folks) that can make boat stuff look like chicken feed!

Expensive is never a word in their vocabulary.

What advantage do you think disolving aircraft grade aluminum in sea water would offer the boat?

Marine aluminum is very different.

Std layup solid glass is cheap but heavy,, foam core frequently will pay for it self in creating a strong light laminate,

Google AIREX ,and see what can be done with somewhat costly foam.

There are cheaper cores , perhaps not better tho.

FF

3. Herman

Herman Senior Member

What you have seen is a product called "GLARE". A glass fiber reinforced aluminium. A countertype is "ARALL" which is an aramide reinforced aluminium.

Both are difficult to produce, expensive, and difficult to work with.

If you think a composite is made using glass fiber and a bucket of resin, then forget about Glare and Arall. They need to be glued and riveted, which is a cumbersome task. Double curvature needs an autoclave (pressurised oven) for production.

If you like to reduce cost, want to build a one-off, get yourself some frames, space them apart, apply strips of foam, glass the outside, glass the inside, install some bulkheads, and off you go....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.