Question: Using two different deck paints

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Landlocked.1, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Landlocked.1

Landlocked.1 New Member

At the end of last season we purchased our 1st sailboat. It's a 19 footer approximately 1966 vintage fiberglass boat. The gent we purchased the boat from had planned to paint the deck and in preparation had purchased a quart of Rustoleum Top Side paint. I kind of turned up my nose at that.

A few weeks ago I purchased a quart of Interlux Brightside paint. Then one eveninIg since then I was talking to a friend of mine that reads a lot of yacht type magazines and he tells me the Rustoleum is a pretty good paint. In addition I am wondering if I purchased enough of the Interlux Brightside paint to do the deck.

Question: Does anyone know if priming the boat with Interlux primer, then coating with Rustoleum Top Side paint, then coating with Interlux Brightside paint will work together? I will be sanding between all coats.

Thank you.

Have a Great Day,
    Jim

2. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Landlocked,

First rule of painting on or near a boat...

FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS EXACALLY.

To be honest I have no idea if rustoleum will even bind to gel coat, but they most certainly do. If it will then just follow the manufacturers instructions. However I am incredibly sceptical of mixing paint from different vendors, and trying to use one as a primer. Marine paints are specialty animals due to the amount of abuse they are put throught, and the primers are just as important.

My feeling is simply that any increased cost in staying with the same manufacturer is more than offset by the time, cost, and hassel of stripping the paint if it starts to flake off.

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Rustoleum makes topside enamals? Huh! Anyway, cured paints can be softened by the aggresive solvents in other paints. That's the issue.
    Do this: Paint something with the Rustoleum and allow to dry for a couple of days. Then paint over that with the Interlux. Any issue will be almost instant. That is, the only incompatability would be that the Interlux solvents would act like a stripper and loosen the Rustoleum so you'd see bubbling and softening. Make sure to paint the Interlux over the Rustoleum THICK to ensure you're replicating a worst case scenario.
    Check with a fingernail or something to see when the Interlux is mostly dry.
    I doubt you'd have a problem, but doing it this way is cheap insurance.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.