Air voids in outer lamenent

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tazmann, Jul 18, 2012.

1. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

I did check the panel stiffness this morning before I put the last layer of resin on and on the flatter sections it is pretty stiff again, they were pretty wimpy after removing the mat layer. On the final layer/'s after all is done with Biax what I am thinking for ease of applying and keeping weight down is getting a roll of 6 ounce 30' wide surfboard cloth
    suspender from crane start at stern and fish scale it 50%, end up with 2 layer and the whole side done in one shot overlapping the center about 6". Seems to me with the way I am doing it it would be the simplest, does cost a little more on the cloth that way but I would end up with a good pure solid layup relatively smooth ?

2. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

Hello all
    Well I have about 75% of the mat removed on the other side, slowly getting there.
    Been thinking about the layup and it sure wouldn't bother me with little over kill. I'm thinking maybe one more layer of 12 ounce biaxial covered with one layer of 6 ounce cloth to hide the weave and threads. Thinking of a way to do front to back in one piece "no seams" a 50" x 23' roll would cover one side plus, What I am thinking is to build a roll stand at the right angle and height and then roll on a coat of resin mixed with about 10% cabosil, then use a dry roller starting from one end sticking it in place taping the excess cloth to hull , now doing this by the time it is all stuck up there in place the resin will be past it's pot life and firing off , would I be better off giving it a couple hours then come back and wet it out ? I am using laminating epoxy resin "no blush"
    Thanks
    Tom

3. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

Finally
    making progress on second side, Glad to I was getting sick of all the grinding
    Learned a lot so far and things are getting easier . If I was better at it I would attempt to cut the ends wet where they need to be but this biax is tough to cut and I don't want to risk knocking it loose, DA with 40 grit make quick work of trimming the edges after cured.
    Tom

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Hello
    Hows the other side going ?? should be a bit quicker now you know what you are doing !!
    :D

5. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

sometimes I think if i new what I was doing I would have junked the boat!
    It is going better/easier, Yesterday had it in my head to finish the interconnecting strips, break in the weather mid to high 80's so I get an early start with the DA, feathered all the edges sanded off the high threads on what was applied then gave it a good washing and I'll be danged the wind picks up to about 10 miles an hour and stays that way, not good outside in the dirt so scraped the idea

6. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

EEEER this just keeps getting better
    To much activity around the house yesterday to fiberglass "chopping corn and trucks running around" so I figured I would work on the keel, picked it up off trailer with crane and I'll be danged it is bent with a nice twist to it. The keel is cast iron with lead at the bottom. What gets me is it is not just bent length wise it's bent cross ways at the upper end where it is flush with bottom of keel trunk, concaved about 3/8" at that point

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

whats happening ??

progress ??
    hows things going ??
    Xmas has been cropping up in conversations so holidays are coming !! :eek:

8. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

Hello Tunnels
    Na not much progress at the moment, had a couple jobs had to get finished and now that the weather has cooled off a bit wife and I started putting a new roof on the o'l house, it's about as much fun as grinding fiberglass, steep sucker and the plywood is shot to boot .
    If I had two day work week with five days off but make the same money I might be able to get everything done by Xmas

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

I understand domestics are absolutly nessasary specially of winter is coming later !!!!
    Will keep my eye out for a refresh post now and then .
    take care in High places and do a fine job !!!!:D