Small unique diesel electric hybrid jet

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by antichip, Jan 15, 2007.

1. antichip

antichip Junior Member

Well the boat can be seen at http://www.nextex.net/attackboat.htm . My plans have changed somewhat. I will be running 2 jet ski drives off of a central 3 cyl diesel. I got the engine a week ago on a tractor ad it is on a bench running off of veggi oil now. 6 jet skis in various condtion get here tuesday for jet pump donation. When funds lend themselves we will add 2 48 volg golf cart motors or other motor types and controllers with regenerative braking. I have more current pics but nothing on the site. the 15 hp diesel sounds awsome. It is a kubota d600. I do not want to go fast, but there are other reasons for jets.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What is the purpose or regenerative braking on a boat? As far as I can see it is only more weight. The bright yellow with the bull's eye will make you more of a target than an attack boat:) I really like the pedal support vessel.

3. antichip

antichip Junior Member

reason for regen

I will have the ability to run silent and recharge the batteries at high rates using the motor controlers and motors as generators. The boat will get painted a digital camo patern. There is much more room in the hull than the pics portray. The boat has been sitting in limbo with no progress for 6 months, and it is all coming together so fast not. My engine parts will be here monday. we are cutting out some rotten wood and internal deviders and such to more suite my needs. I have a 20 gal fuel cell mounted now and will be adding 2 3 gal reserve tanks made from the fryer oil jugs in the box resturants get. I would like alot of feedback.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Welcome to the forum, antichip.
    Kind of a strange little contraption, to be sure. Looks like fun. Very heavily armed for such a small craft- four paintball guns, two air guns, two cannon? Pirates beware!
    No matter what you do with diesels, electrics and jet pumps, you simply won't get anywhere near the efficiency of that MinnKota that's powering it now. Play around all you want- that's what projects like this are for, having fun with cool technology- but don't expect huge gains in speed or efficiency. Especially with twin jetski pumps- they're clever little gadgets, but they waste an awful lot of power when there's only one of them, let alone two.
    One thing I would advise that you avoid outright is the regenerative braking. Regen requires three things to work: Lots of momentum, not much drag, and a mechanical connection between the surroundings and the motor. A boat like that is the polar opposite of all three points. Regen will do absolutely jack-all on about 90% of boats; the only case when it works at all on the water is when you have a somewhat overpowered sailboat swinging a really huge prop, and even then it doesn't usually work that well.
    15 hp will put that thing to hull speed with ease and churn up a hell of a wake doing so. It may actually be slow but it will both look and feel fast, I think.

5. antichip

antichip Junior Member

yay that little min did better than we thought it would. it is getting moved to the 6x6 for aux drive.
    I will clarify the drive design a little more. The desiels and electrics are semi direct coupled together too the pumps, Diagrms will be on the site in a week or so. So when the elecrtics are not in use for power out put they will be in generation soaking some power from the deisel. 4:00 we are going ski gathering.
    Again to clarify I am no boat designer, and I do not care for high speeds but can some experienced builders give me a rough max hull speed? We will be towing a 6 wheel amphibious during most opps. I am looking at a towed low speed hydro foil for tow unit. OK now I'm getting crazy. But the key is that the boat will be as much for show as go. I am looking into sponsors so we are hoping to do some trade shows with it and the 6 wheeler.
    We are also going with a straight water cannon for starters and adding as we go. we were thinking a 3hp pump would do a nice stream.

My next chalenge is to either source the golf cart or better dc motors or brushless motors and controller.

6. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Looks like it's what, 10-12 feet or so long? Four to five knots would seem to be about right as your maximum speed with that drivetrain. If you're towing heavy stuff, a bit more power would certainly not hurt and you'll have amazing manoeuverability with twin jets. Brushless motors probably aren't worth the extra expense though, unless you really really love playing with power electronics. I'd stick with cheap motors, you're only burning a dollar or two of fuel an hour and a 5% efficiency improvement wouldn't make much of a difference to that.

7. antichip

antichip Junior Member

Yay about 13 feet long. 4-6 would be ok. 8 would be awsome. Yay the minimal efeciency increase is negligable considering the mismatch of parts , but the brushless motors have the cool factor.
    Thanks for sharing your experience.
    I am disappointed my jet skis didn't get here today.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The hull speed for a boat with a full entry like that is about 3.4 Kt. At that speed it will have a huge bow wave like tugs do.

9. antichip

antichip Junior Member

Well the jet skis have fallen through for now. I hate people. Well hopefully this weekend if at all.

10. sal's Dad

sal's Dad Atkin/Bolger fan

Make sure the "homeland security" people in your neighborhood know what you are up to! It would be real unpleasant to get them all worked up! Lots of rural police forces are now fully outfitted, and ready to take on a dangerous vessel like this....

(why do I feel less secure, since they had a fully armed drill, storming a remote island cottage near us)

11. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Cool, I love it even without all the fancy drive plans.

If I saw this thing, I would call the cops on you just to see you explain the thing to them.

I once tried to explain to a water cop/sheriff's boat that a hovercraft is a "non-displacement" craft and therefore makes no "wake" on hover (going fast)..............he thought I was making up a whole area of physics.

You guys might spend the night in jail.:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.