Vinylester Question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by keith66, Jul 29, 2013.

1. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

I have been using Vinylester resin for my Gig project & it has gone well.
    Now its summer & temperature has not been a problem! the workshop is well insulated & is a pleasure to work in.
    However i am mindful that autumn is round the corner & winter after that.
    It will not be long before the heating has to go on.
    The building is fitted with six 3Kw electric heaters, rather expensive to run!

Now Polyester resin can be boosted with Cobalt for working in lower temperatures in wintertime, can similar be done with Vinylester?
    Im using Atlac 580 resin, I will be asking the question to my supplier but wondered if anyone on here has any experience.

2. Commuter Boats

Commuter Boats Commuter Boats

Yes, cobalt is the promoter used with vinylester resins. When talking to your supplier request a small amount of DMAA ( dimethylien [sp?]) and be careful with your vinylester, and the shelf life is a very good.
    Gerald

1 person likes this.
  3. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

Thanks for that Gerald, curious as to how low temperature you safely go with the stuff?

4. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

The resin does not care if your hands freeze off, as long as it is warm enough by itself.
    Means: You can set up a kind of tent or other local device to keep the work piece warm. So the costs for heating are lower.

I have worked with moulds with (warm water) heating system; the idea can be modified.

5. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

The idea of a heated mould appeals, at present i have the workshop on a temporary basis & cannot alter anything. If i succeed in keeping it on in the new year as planned i will be able to sort out the most cost effective way of heating. Present costs of running the heaters at full bore is prohibitive.
    We shall see!

6. Commuter Boats

Commuter Boats Commuter Boats

I'm in Southeast Alaska, a temperate rain forest with an average temperature below what a resin manufacturer would suggest as ideal working conditions.... Much of my work is industrial or marine repair outside with less than ideal working conditions. With a lot of help from resin chemists and other experts in the field I have become proficient at making resin do what I need it to do. I purchased my vinylester neat, unpromoted and without accelerator so I have to add cobalt and dimethylacetoacetamide (DMAA) prior to adding a catalysts which gives me a lot of flexibility as to temperatures but requires a steep learning curve in regard to working times and acceptable thermal masses. I have been able to produce a good cure ( verified with a hardness tester and acetone test ) at temperatures below freezing. My preferred vinylester is Derakane 411-45 but I have worked with Atlac products.

Gerald