sol cat 18 hulls construction

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by markstrimaran, Jan 1, 2015.

1. markstrimaran

markstrimaran Senior Member

Their foam cored vacume formed. The trampoline mounting brackets. Are rivoted to the top deck. I am useing them as amas on a small tri. I am curious how strong the top lid is mounted too the hull

Attached Files:

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

I don't really know about that joint, but when I was in Hawaii around '75 I was told that they would break under the main beam in the heavy Hawaiian seas. The fix was to reinforce the sides of the hulls under the beam - I was told.

3. markstrimaran

mounting a trampole anchor point on a sol cat deck

I won't be encountering any forces that strong.
    The lower hull appears to have been set in the top, well the resin was still wet. The edge in the picture is 1/4 inch.

I am working on the trampoline and I am considering screwing a steel bracket that locks on the lip of the joint. This bracket supports a steel pipe that will be inserted through a hem on the tramp.

Probable 4 spaced 24" apart. With a couple layers of 18 oz mat to spread the surface deflection.
    Thanks for advice.

Attached Files:

4. markstrimaran

the old tramp fishnet and rope

This was a poor boy solution to keep me from falling overboard. The canoes are being replaced with sol cat hulls.

The rudder/dagger board are on the bow side of the tramp. Unique and great for tight turns.

Attached Files:

5. markstrimaran

the old tramp fishnet and rope

This was a poor boy solution to keep me from falling overboard. The canoes are being replaced with sol cat hulls.

The rudder/dagger board are on the bow side of the tramp. Unique and great for tight turns.

6. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Marks,

I have cut apart other cat hull of that age.
    Typically the deck and hull are finished, then a thick adhesive is layed into the curve of the deck flange and the hull forced down onto the hull.

That thickness can be up to 1/4" thick and you would find big beads/ sags of the adhesive on the inside.
    I believe that hull to deck joint it probably the strongest point on the boat.

7. markstrimaran

sol cat deck

Thanks for the input.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.