Affordable CAD(2D) software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by liki, Dec 17, 2010.

1. liki

liki Senior Member

Any suggestions for an affordable CAD package, 2D capabilities are enough for me. Specific purpose is to loft and draw construction plans for a small skiff.

I have already bought QCad for a few euros, but it lacks splines that meet their control points which is about the only requirement I would have for now besides the normal layers.

I think I will try TurboCAD or ViaCAD next, both are sold for 39 USD. Anyone able to share any experiences with either of these entry level versions?

2. ruysg

ruysg Junior Member

You could check out DraftSight, by dassault. It´s quite similar to Autocad, and it's free.

Cheers
    Ruy

3. liki

liki Senior Member

Indeed, with a quick test it seems to offer all that I'll need.

4. alanrockwood

alanrockwood Senior Member

DoubleCad XT is free. The Pro version costs about $700.

The free version claims to be a AutoCAD LT work-alike.

I have used the free version in a casual way. I'm not an experienced CAD user, but it seemed to work OK for me.

5. Hawkabilly48

Hawkabilly48 Student Yacht Shaman

Affordable CAD(2D) software?

How about FREE? LEGALLY

Download AutoCad and 3DSMax and most other Autodesk Aps - free student versions at

http://students.autodesk.com/

You just need a student ID number from anywhere. If I remember right, they work for a year. Full working applications. AUTODESK Education Community. All kinds of benefits.
    If you are not a student it's easy to find one. Relative, neighbor, bar, craigs list. hehe

6. conceptia

conceptia Naval Architect

zwcad and brickscad, i remember, too were good. But it might crash if we open more than 3-4 windows. the normal versions were free.

7. adt2

adt2 Senior Member

See www.3ds.com/DraftSight. Free and works a lot like AutoCAD. Made by the same folks who make SolidWorks and Catia.

If you need a little primer on its use, see here for some how-to's I've been putting up for drawing lines using DraftSight and Rhino.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.