damage assessment to boat I plan to buy

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by JeroenW, Jul 25, 2008.

1. JeroenW

JeroenW Junior Member

Hi all,

I am looking for a second hand Finn and found one for an interesting price.
    However there are some cracks visible. And there are some questions that spring to my mind:
    - can these cracks be repaired
    - can the repairs be done by someone with no hands on fiberglassing skills ( me)
    - are there other damages to be expected when seeing these cracks?
    - do you want me to take other pictures when I go visit the boat?

The asking price is around 900euro and most second hand boats I found were going 2000 - 2500 so I figure that I can spend some euro's on repairs before comparing with the other boats?

I will go visit the boat soon, I did some reading as to what to look out for and I found a lot of tips already on the forum.
    Any advice is welcome, thanks for your time!

Attached Files:

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

are them the only cracks?,,,and WAP on it with ya knuckle,,then wap a spot that looks good,,,,the more sound difference the deeper the problem goes,,,push down around the cracks,,,do ya hear MORE cracking?.,,,,,, and no matter what your answers are,,, ANYONE can do fiberglass work,,,,,the BIGGER question is,,, how much your gonna wanna sink into this.

3. JeroenW

JeroenW Junior Member

Thanks the1much, I've been reading this forum for a while now and I was kind of expecting you would respond :cool:
    Listening to the sound difference is a new trick for me. Regarding the fiberglass work, I don't mind investing time and learning to do it right.

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

check the "sounds",,and see how weak the area is,,,and take some more photos, and we'll be able to tell ya how much work it'll be,,,,,,but it is VERY doable ,,but it will be some work,,,but a good "first" glass lesson,,hehe ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.