I need some Help to do my work!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ovenam, Apr 4, 2007.

1. ovenam

ovenam New Member

Hello, i need help to build a boat for a project of the school, i need to learn about the basis, and i need that you recommends to me a book or webpages about boats...

Thanks!:D

2. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

the very first thing is using the search tool - book and reference recommendations are posted often - use search

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

i helped a school build a boat, rowing dory 3.6m,
    the boys found there was not enough time to complete the project
    First, you must decide if you can, How much time have you? What help have you, I found that their woodwork, design /tech teacher had not one clue and I had to constantly be there to assist How much could you do at home?
    For a framed up, twin chine dory(I,ll post photos) you may need 120 hrs to build,
    You can use Carlsen design, see here in design aids, I think thats what we used, it is not a drawing programme but simply you put in the measurements and pull it around and when all is fair it will print out the panels measurements
    I can help you set the thing up, you need to set up the framework onto a simple jig. Two true boards will do laid in the ground with the frame stations marked on them, then the permanent frames are screwed to these,
    Once you have the lines you need to draw the design full size on some ply, the reason for thsi is, you get the bevels and all manner of things from the plan view I ALWAYS draw as much as I can, even on a big yacht even if I have the best CAD drawn plan The reason being , every hr you spend on your knees drawing will save you 20 later on
    I dont mind helping you by email, but not on here necessarily
    good luck

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

dory pic, is this what you want?

here is the school project, this was a dory desined by Francis Kenny, from the A designer from the Stevens design team, in 1946, it rows like a dream
    I built in 8mm ply for topsides and 12mm ply for bottom, the frames where cut from 12,, ply, the transom clued up 2 layers 12mm, as were the seats, the seats clasjed with a strip of hardwood

Attached Files:

5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

sorry about spelling, read clashed, and glued!!

6. flydog

flydog Junior Member

Help

I am in the process (slow process) of building a glued lapstrake design. I do not recommend my boat for a first project. There are many simpler designs that would be more suitable for a school project. If you have only til this summer to finish the project, you will need an experienced boatbuilder to come in and "advise" you. I have found to do it right, you need lots of time.

Good luck!

flydog

7. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

I need help...

Stuff the spelling Lazeyjack. A very nice piece of work. Congratulations.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.