Seagoer Plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by frank smith, Sep 24, 2013.

1. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

2. frank smith

3. frank smith

4. frank smith

5. frank smith

6. frank smith

These plans are available in a pdf file. I dont remember where I got them , but I do have the pdf files for separate pages, just dont know how to put all the pages in one file.
    Enjoy
    F

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What's your point in this post Frank? This design is an admitted knock off and common among the era. It's not fast, not very good to windward, not especially maneuverable, tends to sail at heel angles well past what most modern sailors are comfortable with and her roll moment, though fairly slow is a bit more then what most would find comfortable. Even the original, which this is based, was described by her designer as a pig.

8. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Don't hold back, Paul. Tell us how you really feel.... :D

As a complete amateur I'm really in no position to argue with you about the merits of a design; you have more experience and knowledge than I ever will. But the simple fact that copies and variations of Seabird have been built continuously for well over a hundred years, coupled to the fact that so many of their owners love them dearly and keep them for twenty or thirty years, would seem to indicate they have some redeeming qualities...

All of them are a bit clunky looking, to my eye. But apparently they get people from here to there in a reasonable amount of time and in reasonable comfort, they're reasonably easy to handle, and they're reasonably affordable to build - especially the plywood versions.

And being someone who's easily amused, I enjoyed just studying the plans - even though I'll probably never build one. :)

9. PAR

Yeah and George Buehler's designs have some "redeeming" qualities too. When even the commissioner suggests he'd have gone a different route, in hindsight, you do have to question the premise.

For the same money and effort in a modern design, you can have much more boat, that has far superior capabilities, including looking salty too. I just don't see the sense in heavy, ponderous things that cost twice as much as the same length and accommodation modern craft. Don't get me wrong, I like classics and own a few, but these aren't described as a pig by the first owner of the first build either. Don't get me started on Tahiti ketches either. :)

10. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Not one of Thomas Fleming Day`s best looking creations.
    While it`s lines are supposed to be based on a Skipjack , I find those working boats easier on the eye.

Troy`s point about the design being simple and cheap , thus allowing people to go to sea relatively safely , on a budget is valid , not withstanding the fact that in today`s world an intrepid sailor could buy a much newer , used , sound , well found and more capable boat , probably for much less money.

Interesting that even Bolger did a version of this boat.

Building that keel looks scary !

Buehler`s creations look even heavier built.

11. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Such as? I'm always interested in choices for the (most likely mythical) next boat....

PDW

12. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

[​IMG]

Bruce Bingham`s Flicker.Difficult to find a used boat ,
    Even smaller at 20 ft.Plans were around some time ago , but no longer.

13. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Cheaper still , easier to build :

Benford dory.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. PAR

One look at that construction drawing and it's pretty obvious how costly and difficult shell be to build. Lots of material, much of it quite large, which means heavy, expensive and difficult to lift into place.

Benford's dory series is a good, economical choice, much cheaper to build, much better performance, etc.

I would never want a Flicka (not a Flicker), but I can see how folks would. She has a lot to offer in a 20' package, but to me, she's trying to be way more than she is.

PDW, there are hundreds of designs to choose from in that size range. If you want a good cruiser in this size range, that'll sail circles around these types of antique designs, take a look at a Dix Coquette 39 as a good example of light, strong, fast and easy to build. Put some trailboards on it and maybe a taff rail so you can feel saltier.

15. frank smith

I posted these because someone was interested in seeing them. The response is interesting and enlightening. I think Brewer's Tern or Withollz,s Departure, are better choices. There are of course many others.

F

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.