Advise on inboard and systems design and setup please!

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by Northeaster, May 24, 2016.

1. Northeaster

Northeaster Senior Member

Hi Folks,

Looking for some input, especially from those with inboard engine and inboards systems installation...
    I confess - never did buy the Glen-L inboard engine install book...not being cheap...but I kinda did most of the preliminary engine alignment / girder install on short notice, one weekend..and I knew that if I ordered the book, it would not have arrived on short notice due to border Customs ,etc/
    I did read the chapter on inboard engine install in my book on Aluminum Boatbuilding, by Stephen Pollard...and, I have removed and tweaked the small inboard engine installed in my older 30" sailboat.
    Please have a look at the pics and let me know if anything really looks bad or odd...

I built the extra frames and bracket / top to mount the steering ram, and cut a hole to allow the stuffing box to be removed. I still have to make a plate to fit over the hole (which will bolt down to the main/ top bracket) and it will hold the bearing shown in the pic. The steering arm will mount just above this bearing and the ram will be mounted somewhere near where shown...unless someone tells me why not...
    So, in the rudder post area, from the hull up I have the rudder tube with a
    cutlass type bearing, then the home-made inner stuffing box tube goes inside and compresses the packing material. Then, above that is the plate with "stronger/ more precise" flange bearing mounted, and then above that is the rudder arm connected to the ram....
    I will likely have to cut a couple of more holes in the top bracket, so I can see down to adjust the rudder stuffing box, and get my hand in to use wrenches to adjust it... when the plate and flange bearing are installed.

If there was a much better way of building or designing that rudder post stuffing box and steering system, please let me know, soon!!!!!
    I added the flange bearing, as I did not like the idea of the ram pushing on the post, with only the cutlass type bearing, in the hull/post tube, and the bottom rudder bearing. I wanted a strong bearing up high, near where the ram mounts to the rudder arm, to reduce stress on the post bearing.

Attached Files:

2. Northeaster

Northeaster Senior Member

Finished home-made stuffing box and then mounted a removable plate above it, to hold the flange bearing.
    Also cut access holes to be able to adjust stuffing box.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2016
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.