DIY Wing Seats for Hobie 16

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by CardboardKing, Jul 1, 2016.

1. CardboardKing

CardboardKing Junior Member

Hello, all!

I recently acquired a 5m long Hobie Cat sailboat, which I guess is called a Hobie 16, for basically free. It's been around awhile and has some parts missing, but seems basically seaworthy. For the price I paid I think it's definitely worth fixing.

Anyway, I am in the process of getting it ready to put in the water for the first time, and while I was looking around for parts I discovered something called "wing seats." Although they are an optional accessory, I think they would do wonders for helping my 72-year-old father, who has been helping me put it together, to actually enjoy sailing on it.

The problem is, of the two manufacturers that I have found for this product, one wants $1200 dollars and the other wants $800. I honestly don't think either product is worth that much money. I don't particularly like the $800 version, and the $1200 version is just some pipe, some mounting hardware and an aluminum platform. Whatever they're charging $1200 for, it certainly isn't the materials.

So, I'm thinking I can keep the cost of my free boat low by making some "wing seats" myself. Has anyone done this? Are there any Best Practices I should be aware of? The fundamental concept seems pretty simple, but I do want to make sure that my version is safe and sturdy - I don't want to have to rebuild them every summer, and I don't want anyone to get hurt (or worse).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. johnnyrocket

johnnyrocket New Member

Hi, I notice that this post is quite old. But did you ever find a suitable design for Hobie 16 seat rails?

3. Aaron pence

Aaron pence Junior Member

In the process of building 5 sets. For h16 4 to sell. Price under $400. Should be on eBay before September. Style is same as h18.
    Price is kept low by using standard materials. 20170730_150932.jpg 20170730_122934.jpg

4. Aaron pence

Aluminum extrusion is a bleacher 2" x 8" 8' long purchased from markstar.

Attached Files:

5. boats4sail

boats4sail New Member

Great design, cool idea. Do you have one for sale? Thanks

6. Aaron pence

I could finish one up Tomorrow.

7. boats4sail

boats4sail New Member

Great. What's the next step?

8. Aaron pence

9. boats4sail

boats4sail New Member

Thanks for the reply. Mine's a 1978. If you're using dried pine, the weight diff is only ~ 5-8lbs/side compared to the aluminum, so wood's ok. Drilling is no problem. My H16 has a different beam set-up than the boat you show in the photos, however. It's elevated on 4 corner castings.

10. Aaron pence

Yeah I posted pics of an h18 and h16 and there both yellow.

11. Aaron pence

12. Aaron pence

13. phillysailor

phillysailor Junior Member

As an option, the bench seat could be made from 2 inch insulation foam. Cut the 4x8 panel sold at big boxes, round the edges and epoxy Home Depot 5mm ply underlayment on the top (bevel the edges so it lays flat and allows the cloth to mold.) Wrap with fiberglass cloth: I used three layers 6oz on the bottom, for it is in tension. If worried you could use a couple layers of CF and a layer of FG cloth for protection I suppose. The top is in compression, hence the ply. A single layer FG for scuff protection. I did two layers on the sides for dent and dings protection. If you can vacuum bag, this is a perfect project.

Drill holes 2-3x oversize where the bolts will be and fill with epoxy thickened with high density filler (West Systems 404) or silica. Wait until it is dry, then drop your bolts through.

Nice thing is it's added floatation and light.

Aaron pence likes this.
  14. CardboardKing

I don't have the level of metalsmithing ability required to construct anything like what you guys are talking about here. I work mostly with wood and cardboard.

What I need is something that uses mostly stock parts. I don't mind drilling holes and bolting things together, and I am no stranger to epoxy or polyurethane glue, but welding is not in my skill set.

15. CardboardKing

I'm not so worried about the seat itself. It's the attachment and support that I need help figuring out.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.