Building a transom

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by adam1, Apr 18, 2006.

1. adam1

adam1 New Member

I was wondering what materail to use? Should I use wood or is it worth it to go with some foamboard or something else of that nature any reply would be help full thanks.

2. dereksireci

dereksireci Senior Member

Details

Please give more details about the project. I don't guess you are building a transom without it being attached to some sort of boat?

Type and age of boat
    What sort of power
    Condition

This will give readers more information to provide help.

djs

3. adam1

adam1 New Member

make of boat

It is a fiberglass 79 searay 19ft I/o with a v8. Iam doing it all the stringers and floor. This is the first boat I have done. I have did stuff with fiberglass before though. Just wanted know what are the best products to use for the transom. Thanks for your help

4. dereksireci

dereksireci Senior Member

Plywood

Thousands of boats are still cruising the planet with plywood transoms in them. The key is to not leave any exposed wood for the water to attack. When you cut the hole for the outdrive coat the exposed edges well with resin. You can stick two pieces of ¾" marine plywood together with a sheet of 3 oz mat in between. Wet out the mat enough so that a bit of resin leaks out all around the edge when the boards are pressed together. Weight it and/or put some nails in temporarily. Since your boat is 27 years old I wouldn't go the foam route for the transom. You could use medium density foam as formers for the glass of the stringers as they would be easier to shape to fit the hull than wood, however plywood may be a better choice in way of the engine. As always, supoport the hull well before cutting out the old stringers or it may be a different shape when you are finished.

Be sure to search some of the older threads here for good info on replacing transoms and stringers.

Good luck.

Do I get a prize for my 100th post?

djs

1 person likes this.

5. antonfourie

antonfourie Senior Member

One rep point .... but then you do give good advice so you deserve it ... :)