clipper project design help

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by hatt, Oct 21, 2008.

1. hatt

hatt New Member

i am doing a school project where i need to make a model of a ship, and i was wondering if anyone could tell me the mast height of the Ariel. or if theres a good guess of the average height of the masts for a clipper, i would like that too...thanks

2. George S

George S The old fellow

Try and find any of the books by David R MacGregor. Then scale off the dimentions of a ship you like.
    George S

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Hatt,

You can find a complete drawing of a "medium clipper", the Henry B. Hyde in Howard Chapelle's book, The History of American Sailing Ships. The Hyde was built in 1884, 267.8' long, beam was 45', depth (main deck to keel) 28.8', 2463 tons. She was a three masted ship and the foremast was about 215', cap to waterline. Mainmast slightly taller, mizzen shorter.

4. George S

George S The old fellow

How is the project going?

Hatt, how is your project going? If you are still working on it can you tell us more about it? Thanks
    George

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.