homebrew and bottling of hydrogen gas with scuba compressor?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Squidly-Diddly, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

or just regular shop air compressor?

The actual brewing(cracking) seems pretty straight forward. Did did the classic experiment in Basic Science in HS.

Any good reason why with a little care I couldn't bottle it either into 150psi standard shop air tank or even hi-press scuba tanks?

"a little care" might be something like purging the system with something like N2, CO2 or He to displace O2 in ambient air, doing it outside to allow any stray H2 to head skyward ASAP, pointing a fan at the whole operation to help dissipate any stray H2 ASAP, etc.

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Good luck, I'll be looking for the news report.

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

You could use a high-vacuum pump to purge the oxygen from the tank before compressing H2. Imho the presence of a few O2 atoms in the tank is not a safety risk.

Unless you have access to cheap electricity and can also store the oxygen it seems like an expensive hobby to me.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Roosevelt Park could become a seaside community. :eek:

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The usual method is to lower the temperature of the hydrogen. Compressing any gas raises its temperature.

6. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...ved=0ahUKEwj969KT9ZnTAhXlgFQKHSVxCSoQpx8IcTAO

What do you mean "could"? Google Roosevelt Park images

Other RP news:
    http://www.mercurynews.com/2012/10/...ed-as-adults-in-roosevelt-park-fatal-beating/

http://www.sanjoseinside.com/2017/03/13/shelter-crisis-declaration-would-house-sj-flood-victims-into-april/

$50/day to house people in a city community center. That doesn't include cost of building, or any medical care, just cot and free stale donated bread.

I was out it front of City Heights condos a few blocks away from RP last Fri night about 3am and a homeless guy with bike and trailer tells me two men were chasing a screaming woman and he thinks they shoved her into a car which took off but they fled on foot, and could I call cops because he had no phone. I passed.

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

San Jose and RP would get farther away from each other as the western side of the fault would slide toward Hawaii thanks to your hydrogen generator. :cool:

8. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Um... it might work mechanically, but pressurizing explosive gass in a homemade contraption just sounds like a decidedly bad idea. I think this may be one of those times where if you have to ask the question you shouldn't be doing it, no matter what set up you make.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.