Advice on the correct power rating for my Autonomous boat

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by mitchellleary, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Mermaid Co

Mermaid Co Junior Member

Kayak shape for autonomous boat will be like bad coffee where no matter how much sugar and cream you add,it will be still bad.

There are so many issues to go through.

First is transverse stability,secondary stability for kayak shapes are low which will aggravate if solar panels are kept on top of it.In sideways waves, It will be highly prone to topple. So Lower L/B ratio or relatively bit higher beam shall be chosen so that you feel relaxed when boat is out in sea.Some weight distribution towards bottom side will help to increase stability of boat.So weight and displacement calculation shall be revised.

Directional stability is another part which I mentioned in above post. Go for a boat shape which is more directional stable. It will reduce unnecessary cost of making steering automation or auto pilot.

Some other shape will consume more power but will give better performance in transverse stability and directional stability,which should be prime concern while designing.Off course power requirement will be higher but it will be worth with good performance boat.

If solar panels are not enough,secondary means of powering or battery shall be used.

2. mitchellleary

mitchellleary Junior Member

Hi Mermaid Co,

I sent you a private message, I don't know if you received it?

Thanks,

Mitch

3. Mermaid Co

Mermaid Co Junior Member

Ya I got it in spam, Please send your design idea so that I can share my views.If it looks relevant to you,you can optimize the design which will be helpful for scaling up the design.

4. mitchellleary

Thanks Mermaid Co.

Could you kindly supply me with your email address in a private message?

Thanks

Mitch

5. mitchellleary

Hi Daquiri,

I sent you a private message. I don't know if you received it. If not, please check your spam folder.

Thanks,

Mitch

6. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I've just replied - sorry for the wait but it was quite a busy week for me.
    Cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.