Boat yard, cheap boats.

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by Bill boyd, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill boyd

Bill boyd Previous Member

Hi Guys Bill here. I have a obtained rights to a defunct boat yard in Thailand near a river and town called Chumpon. It comes along with 30 employees of 14 years old to 30. Some are on a minimum wage of 9 dollars a day which I am paying now even we have no work. Molds are there with 100 50 gall drums of resin. I want to make the smallest boat of a clinker row boat copied off a European something or other.
    I am a American so I was hoping to kick out some cheap boats here and container them to US.
    The yard comes with rooms for the staff mostly girls who are good workers and they have to pay me 270 dollars per month for each room and that makes a profit. Hand laminated clinker row boats at 200 dollars each. Oh there is also a canteen that charges them 30 baht for a meal
    of rice and meat so I make money on that too. Any one interested in cheap row boats.

USCO boat yard, Arunatai beach, soi 115 Chumpon, Thailand. I dont have a web site yet but just intend to pump out these cheap boats then dump the place.

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

You are in the wrong place here buddy. We aren't interested in someone "Copying" a European something or other (copyrighted design owned by the designer) nor are we interested in someone foisting cheap boats built with underpaid labor and of dubious quality. We get enough of those kind of products from China and half a dozen other Pacific rim countries.

You expect to be respected after that kind of statement?

3. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

hey frosty

2 people like this.
  4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

LOL. It that is you then that post makes a lot of sense :D

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

ROFL!

6. hoytedow

What happened to Frosty, anyhow?

7. Petros

Petros Senior Member

why don't you do yourself and your employees a favor and try to organize the yard so it can stay in business making a quality product? I presume your intention was to use the materials on hand and than shut down, but why not price the product so you can still make a profit when buying all the materials needed. Seems to me that having the yard, a hardworking and presumably trained work force, it should not be too difficult to put out small boats at a competitive price and stay in business. The materials on hand will allow you to start up without much of an up front investment.

If you can train the employees to put just a little bit more effort into the products, you can produce a very high quality product that will be easier to sell. I can tell you there are not many buyers of whole sale boats that will take a load of boats of unknown quality from a supplier that will not be around very long. They have already been burned before with a load of junk they can not give away. They will not be receptive to buying from you at all. there will be no profit in it for you.

OTHO if you can assure them that your intention is to deliver quality boats at a good price for the indefinite future, many will be happy to take a risk and place an order. If they are impressed with what they get, they will be eager to place more orders. If you can build your business around a long term profitable operation, even if you have no intention of staying on for more than a year or two, you can sell the whole operation off to a local once you establish a reliable supply line and ready regular customers.

Do some homework and see what kind of small boats are popular and easy to sell. Seems to me there should be a market for boats that make good tenders for larger yachts, day sailors or rental boats. Than buy some plans or rights to build it since you will have a long term relationship with the designer.

Good luck.

8. hoytedow

Other things could be made from FRP, such as saddlebags, bathtubs, sinks, engine covers, auto body panels and more. Good luck.

9. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I'm interested in a cheap row boat, how about some pics?

By "row boat" I mean sliding seat shell or fast dory or Whitehall.

And how much to ship to SF, California?

10. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

And PVC EXHAUST !!!!

It could be Frosty lurking.

Lets see if I can flush him out of the shadows with one of these.......................

http://[​IMG]

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

See Frosty, no ice cubes in the beer like the Ausies take them :D

12. hoytedow

At least serve it in a chilled mug.

13. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

A bit obvious frosty. Or should we call you bill now. Good to see you back.

14. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Duh... One of these days I'll come up with the right answer to 1+1. I should have connected the Thailand reference. I guess it was the lack of a homophobic reference that threw me.

15. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

More Frosty no, please¡¡¡¡

I am afraid that Frosty's personality prevents him from being more than 4 days silent, not saying stupid things but no one deserves, neither Bill Boyd, insult him, likening it to Frosty. It is important in democracy, respect the "presumption of innocence". Bill Boyd still has not made sufficient merit to be called "Frosty". Be respectful, please.